Suspicious popup from Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bl616, Mar 14, 2010.

1. bl616 macrumors newbie

A suspicious popup came up on Firefox, but as soon as I clicked the red X to close it, another message popped up and asked if I was sure I wanted to continue closing the window. The options were "ok" to continue, or "cancel" to stop. I was in such a hurry I didn't see what the popup was for, but this was the first time I've been prompted to click another option to close the window, so I am suspicious of what it could possibly be. I clicked cancel and the window immediately closed. I have never had a questionable popup such as this in the two years I've had my Mac, so I was curious as to whether I should be concerned. I've restarted Firefox and deleted all browsing history/cookies. Is it possible this is malware or a virus?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No. This is likely a flaky popup ad opened by a site you were visiting. The "Are you sure you really want to close this window?" dialog is a popular trick specifically intended to annoy you.

3. pcman2000 macrumors newbie

Infact, it's just Javascript:

Code:
     onUnload="return confirm('YOU SHALL NOT LEAVE THIS POPUP! YOUR COMPUTER WILL GET A VIRUS!')" 

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It sounds like the warning message you get when you close a window with more than one tab open.

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

it's most definitely java script created to annoy you. Sometimes they have some command to re-load the page so when you close it, you end up right back on it lol

It prevents you from clicking the close button on the browser, but thankfully such scripts cannot stop you from quitting the browser.