Suspicious tethering data amounts?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bawstun, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I just tethered for the first time ever on my jailbroken ip4 and I'm wondering if AT&T will look into it, be able to tell, send me letters, cancel account etc.

I only plan on tethering for 2-3 days - I came home today and my internet wasn't working. I really needed it (work-related) so I saw a tethering app was free for a trial in Cydia and I tried it. I'm currently tethering now but my concern is that even just a minute few days of tethering will allow AT&T to catch on.

I notice it tells you your usage down/up in the app. What is a number that will be crazy?

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

People have posted stories of sucking down HUNDREDS of gigs worth of data. The worst I've heard is that AT&T sends a letter saying "Hey, there is WiFi all over the place".

You will be fine.

3. Bawstun thread starter macrumors 65816

Bawstun

OK...thanks. I just feel 'dirty' I know I pay AT&T but that is for my phone service not to use my laptop in my own house. Comcast said it will take 2-3 days before a tech can make it out here to fix whatever is wrong, and I really, really cannot go without internet. I didn't see another alternative and I can't afford to pay AT&T's ridiculous tethering fee right now. It feels wrong but in my mind I justify it by saying it will only be a few days. lol :mad:

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

AT&T is the one who should feel "dirty" by requiring its users to pay TWICE for the same data. AT&T REQUIRES all iphone owners to purchase their data package. Why you should have to pay in addition just to tether is ludicrous. Provided you don't exceed your original data package bandwidth allotment, I don't think they have any business bothering you about how you use that data allotment.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

As long as you're not always using it as your sole source of internet, then you'll be fine.