Suspicious WWDC Email

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ryan Burgess, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Ryan Burgess, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014

Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

Hi,

Idk if I'm just paranoid or whatever but I received an email today with the following body:

Does this look like a legit email from apple? I haven't received anything like this before so i don't know what to expect. I thought maybe when apples developer site was hacked several months ago they got my email and are now contacting me.

Do you guys think this is legit? Thanks!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Since when does anyone at Apple have an email address that's only their first name?

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

I have only enough to see that is says it's from melinda@apple.com

I replied to the email saying "Sure call me anytime" to which the response was, "at what number?"

I thought this was fishy since apple should already have my number so I said "The cell in my account is fine." Never got a response, so I'm sure this was a scam.

5. Roller macrumors 68020

Maybe it was Melinda Gates, but she didn't want to use her last name so that you'd know she jumped ship. :)

Seriously, sounds suspicious to me.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can provide some temp type of number like Google Voice and see.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I'm one of those who regards any unsolicited, unannounced or unexpected email, or, for that matter any private email where the exchange has not been initiated by me, as 'suspicious'.

Likewise, any email where the tone is familiar, and breezy, but your own name is not used (those dreadful generic ones which commence with the word 'hello'), also rings an alarm bell with me.

And, above all, emails with a dodgy return email address: seriously, when does a company, a well known company, just use a first name in an email address?

In my case, I have had a number of work email addresses, from universities where I worked, or international organisations for whom I also worked, and, whenever my name formed part of my email address, it was either my full name, or my first initial and my surname combined. I have never had a professional email address where my first name was used, solely.

Anyway, any such email is deleted and are never, ever replied to.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Easily the two best replies of the thread…...

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

So did you recently sign up for anything or contact Apple in some way?

What did the email headers reveal?

10. moonman239 macrumors 68000

If you're from the United States, you should file a report with the Internet Crime Complaint Center: http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

This report, according to the Website, will be sent to a law enforcement agency.

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Most definitely a scam. Someone wanting to have a conversation with you could easily steal your car, for example. It is obvious that since she asked you your credit card number, something is quite wrong. Be careful, and call the cops before it's too late!
    :rolleyes:

12. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

When you replied, did it get sent back to the same @apple email?

If so, may be worth contacting their support and let them know some fishy email is coming from an internal email.

http://www.apple.com/legal/more-resources/phishing/

Although, it could have been legit. Who knows.

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

OP, what do you do that could have prompted Apple's interest? Try responding directly to melinda@apple.com rather than to the original email. It's doubtful a legitimate apple email address could have a scammer on the other end. I wouldn't miss out on a potential opportunity.

----------

The amount of skepticism is unjustified. You can contact apple to find out if Melinda is a legitimate employee...