SVN binaries folder

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by duggram, Jul 16, 2011.

1. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

I'm setting up svnX on my 10.6.8 MBP. Setup wants to know where the SVN binaries are. It would also be good to know how I should have looked for them from Terminal. I'm sure there's a command, I just don't know it. Thank you.

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Depends entirely on how you installed it but generally it should be /usr/bin/svn

3. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

I didn't install it.. comes pre installed on SL

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Yes that's in /usr/bin/svn but generally most people I work with will compile and install newer versions over that one as they become available.

5. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

If you want to find the path to a program, you can use either the which program or the find program.

First start with:
    Code:
    which svn
    This will find an svn program on path, that is the one that would be executed if you just type svn into Terminal.

However, you might have multiple svn programs, presumably of different versions. The which program will only print out the path of the first one, not necessarily the latest one, and it won't print out the paths of svn programs not on path.

The find command below will search your hard disk and print out the path and version of all the svn programs it finds.
    Code:
    find -x / -name svn -type f -perm +a=x -exec echo -n '{} version ' \; -exec {} --version --quiet \; 2>&1 | grep -v 'Permission denied'

I hope you mean your colleagues metaphorically install newer versions over the standard one and not literally. For example, by installing the new version into a directory before the standard directories on path. Overwriting system-supplied files is a UNIX 101 no-no.