Swamipredicts annoying constant pop up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by d_saum, Jun 1, 2008.

1. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

So I was surfing around a few minutes ago and all of a sudden I got a pop up for a website www.swamipredicts.com. I closed it and sure enough, 10 seconds later it popped up again! It popped up every 10 seconds for a few minutes and was aggravating the hell out of me. I was using Safari and shut it down and used Firefox to find a solution. Here is what I found:

But now the only difference was that I had another line in hosts file that read
    "fe80::1%lo0 localhost"

so I commented that out with a pound sign and all has been well since.

Anyone else get hit with that? I'd hate to have to keep editing my hosts file everytime some friggin site hijacks safari!!!!

Thanks!

2. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

I must not be entering it right because this stupid swamipredicts won't stop popping up. This is what I have:

##
    # Host Database
    #
    # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
    # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    #fe80::1%lo0 localhost
    0.0.0.0 ip36.swamipredicts.com
    0.0.0.0 ip35.swamipredicts.com

I swear Safari's security is lousy. Can't even block this stupid pop-up.

3. madriley macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem...ugh. I just read about this on a 'yahoo answers' post and every person that posted seemed to believe it came from myspace, because when they shut their myspace window, the popups stopped.

I did, in fact, have a myspace page open when this all started and each time it's happened since I did as well, so there must be something to that. It also seems to be mac specific...my daughter has been on myspace off and on all day on her pc and had no problems.

I tried to block it via the method posted above, and it did work temporarily but later it will pop up again with a slightly different address, so i have to go through the whole process again to add the new one. :mad:

Do you all agree that it's related to myspace? I guess I'll just be staying away from there until there is a good fix for this...

4. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

Yep... its definitely coming from EFFING myspace. DAMMIT... I hate the effin crap!!!! I changed my password and it still was popping up. So I closed the myspace tab and it stopped.

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yep, it is happening to my wife too. I don't understand why or how. Is this the first Mac security problem? Wow. Crazy isn't it.

6. LeanneMarie macrumors newbie

I'm also a Mac user. Swami started popping up on me yesterday, and I didn't think much of it. It wasn't until about 20 minutes ago that it started doing it again, so I decided to Google the popup to see if it was any type of phishing. That's how I found this board. Lo and behold, my MySpace account was also open. I started to send a message to MySpace help, and my message didn't make it past the spam filter. I clicked back to my home page, and was given the message that my account had been phished and had to change my password. I changed it, and not even five minutes later, swami popped up again.

7. maokh macrumors 6502

same here.
    and, yeah, myspace happens to be opened up too.
    i really don't care what swami can predict.

Could it be one of their 3rd party applications? Does anyone want to admit to having any of these? I have a couple...for sdk research purposes...honest.

8. madriley macrumors newbie

I don't have any of their 3rd party apps installed and I'm still getting the stupid thing today...

9. tycarter macrumors newbie

info on origins of 'swami the'#ick'

I looked up the source and found this out - the server is a los angeles california based host

http://whois.domaintools.com/swamipredicts.com
    naturally, they're by proxy so you could pay the $50 to contact them, but I doubt they'd respond back.
    better yet, could contact the hosting company and complain - if they're upstanding, they should respond. . .
    IP Address: 64.34.161.125

http://dns-tools.domaintools.com/?m=dns&q=64.34.161.125
    I found that if i just log out, it stops rather than closing the tab - which works too... I noticed this popup a few days ago and only with myspace using safari - and not all the time either...i'll have to pay attention and see if it does it with firefox too.
    seems we've got a mac hater out there - either that or just a really stupid marketer.

10. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I had this the other day, and it was really pissing me off. I can't figure out all that terminal code, so, I won't bother. I'm back to using The Greatest Browser on the Planet, anyways.

11. tycarter macrumors newbie

stats on swami

http://www.quantcast.com/swamipredicts.com

this one had some interesting demographics on it - like top 3 subdomains are ip24,ip37 and ip38

majority of visitors is hispanic females 12-17
    4% of visitors are 'regulars' so parents better check their credit cards - your kids might be charging them up... reminds me of the old 976 phone number days....

http://www.alexa.com/search?q=swamipredicts.com
    ranked in the 50-60K range - that's pretty high...

12. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

It's pretty goddamn sad is what it is.

13. tycarter macrumors newbie

myspace is retarded

I reported the issue to myspace and this morning i got this msg supposedly from myspace saying they want me to send them a salute - a pic of me holding a sign with myspace written on it to confirm my ID - this makes no sense whatsoever - they don't need me to prove myself for reporting a problem spammer that i'm sure they're fully aware of by now... i just deleted it . . .
    here's what the beginning of their email read:
    "
    Hello,

In order to verify your identity, we need to receive a salute from the owner of the MySpace profile or from the party in question. A salute is a digital image or picture of you holding a handwritten sign that contains information about your MySpace account. "

just wondering has anyone else heard of such nonsense?

14. madriley macrumors newbie

Wow, that's weird. I wrote them about it last night and received this response this morning:

Hello,

We are aware there is a technical problem and are working to fix it quickly. Please be patient.

Thank you,
    MySpace.com

15. maokh macrumors 6502

This site is ran by the National Telephone Advisory. The company has an interesting suite of products, however, i question the overall value of their services. Just 3-5 messages a week, at those prices. wow. swamipredicts must just be for high rollers and the super rich. Centennial Wireless is $5.99/week and AT&T is $19.99/mo.

seems there are asking this if you claim someone stole your profile: http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/10/confirm-your-identit.html

They might have misunderstood what you were saying...

16. professornegi macrumors newbie

professornegi

I've heard of this happening as well. Worst case scenario you could just get a Facebook .... I mean its about 10 tens better than myspace anyways. :D