Swan M10 with headphones?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zonyc, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Zonyc macrumors member

I've been doing a good deal of searching and haven't found a reasonable solution to this. I live in a shared house so I need to use headphones (sens hd590) when everyone is asleep and so on. Anyways, I was interested in picking up the Swan M10s but unfortunately they lack a headphone jack. Can anyone recommend a decent amp or another way to use headphones without excessive unplugging and replugging of the speakers and headphones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Nuck81 macrumors regular

You could get the Swan M12's.

Same Basic System but the Woofer is a touch bigger, and it has a headphone jack and an MP3 jack on the side of the woofer. Ten Bucks cheaper too.

Swan M12's

A Thread about the M12

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm the normal Swan fan boy for whatever reason. The M12's are definitely worth checking out if you cannot place the woofer near head level.

As for the solution. I use this. But only because I had it laying around from a previous project. The Griffin iMic comes to mind. I have no clue how this would work, but it is a smaller version of what I'm using mine for. I run my Swans via a USB interface and then RCA audio cables, which the Behringer would allow for.

4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Yeah but the M12's look pretty blah, imo.

The simplest solution is to get a 3.5mm jack splitter so the speakers plug in one end and the headphones plug in the other.

5. Zonyc thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I did consider the M12s but of course it doesnt look quite as nice, and I'd prefer a midwoofer to the sub. Have you used the M12s? Do you how the quality differs and why the price is actually less than the M10 despite in the inclusion of additional features?

I appreciate the reply :)

Haha yes, I know you are a fan boy and I was hoping you'd see Swan in the title and come check the thread out! Actually it's due to your posts that I started checking out the Swan series of speakers. I considered the pro media 2.1 as you had suggested, but I think i still prefer the Swans.

Do you know how the M12 differs from the M10 in terms of sound quality? How much of a difference is there between the mid and subwoofers? I'll check out the links you posted. Oh one more thing, would the line in to USB device you posted diminish the quality by a noticeable amount, or is it negligible?

I appreciate you taking time to post up the links and help a Swan owner to be out!

Indeed this is the most simple solution. I was looking for something similar to a remote like many of the Logitech speakers have. I have to wholeheartedly agree that the M12's look pretty blah as well. Thanks for the reply :)

6. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I actually bought some m12's a few weeks ago. I couldn't tell you why they are ten dollars cheaper. I do know that I was going to order some M10's but after talking to a John Lane at Audio Insider via email he convinced me to switch to the M12's since they where a little cheaper and in stock. He said the main difference was the woofer and aesthetics.