Swan M10

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rondofan9, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Rondofan9 macrumors member

I know, this is like the 100th SM10 thread and my 4th. I just got these, and had been playing them on the 10th notch (out of 16) so fairly loud, the sub is at about roughly 70-80% of its max, I didn't want to turn it up all the way I'm terrified of blowing speakers, always super-cautious.

After about 2 hours of shuffling through iTunes I noticed in-between songs they were buzzing REALLLLLLYYYY loud, I could hear it from the room over! Definitely never heard any speakers buzz this loud, idling or not! Also the back of the subwoofer is really hot too, but I figured that wasn't too abnormal?! Are either one of these things to worry about? I don't feel like I should have to turn off the speakers after I'm done listening to them..

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

Couple possibilities other than blown speakers:

1) Bad wiring or connections - test to see if you can isolate the problem to specific speaker(s) or wire
    2) is your output from your computer really low? both iTunes volume and actual computer volume - try lowering the speaker volume on the dials and increasing the computer volume(s)
    3) did you break them in any? Or just fire them up fairly loudly immediately? I'm not sure on those, but it's somewhat often people recommend running speakers at moderate or low volumes for a while before putting them through their paces
    4) are you using the equalizer in iTunes? try disabling this - on decent speakers I tend to get noise from this

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

EDIT: ^^^ His answer is much better.

'Sounds' like the signal-to-noise ratio is farked.

Have you tried resetting any audio plugs. It could be a weak connection.

Otherwise, I council "Back they go!!!" :D

4. Rondofan9, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

Rondofan9 thread starter macrumors member

Edit: Problem found.

The buzzing starts after a few minutes of play, no matter what the volume ratios/levels are on mac mini/sub/speakers.

The buzzing seemed to be coming from the right speaker, when I unplugged it the buzzing stopped. When I plugged the left speaker into the right port, the buzzing started up again. It seems to me like the Red (R) output on the subwoofer/power supply is faulty. I guess I'll call the HiVi tomorrow! :/ great, was so excited about these speakers.