Swans or M Audio...opinions needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pb1300, Feb 19, 2010.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

M Audio AV 40s or Swan M 10s? I am looking at one of the two sets, and I have heard good things about both of them. I am leaving a regular 2.1 Logitech set, so I figure I will get much better sound from these. Any opinions/thoughts please?

2. c0ff macrumors newbie

I suggest M-Audio, just because M-Audio knows how to build a better stuff.
    I haven't heard Swan, but AFAIK they only build consumer-level hardware.
    My friend got AV40s based on my recommendation and he is pleased with them.

Anyway, in case of doubts, flip a coin ;)

Edit: I'm not sure you will get any noticable gains over Logitech 2.1. If I got it right, they are in the same price range.
    Quality costs. And there're no miracles in the market. Except for the case if Logitechs are really bad.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

A couple of things:
    1. Which Logitechs do you have? There's a huge difference between the lower-end and the Z-2300.
    2. What are your needs/wants? If you want heavy bass - the reality is probably neither are the best options.
    3. What's your desk look like? The M10s aren't a good option if you can't put the midwoofer near head level.

As for the question of Swan being consumer level. That's true, but they are a Hi-Fi company that makes plenty of speakers that cost multiple times over what anything from M-Audio will run you.

4. c0ff macrumors newbie

<self censored, because mine is shorter> :)

Yes, it can be that Swan is better in consumer-level hw, than M-Audio.

Op, it's your money, your ears, your decision. Better listen (the speakers) yourself.

5. Jacquesass macrumors regular

I have a pair of Swan M200's (Mk1) and they are pretty amazing. Clear, room-filling sound; excellent for music. If you have the means, I would very strongly suggest you get a pair of the M200 MkII's - there is very little in the amplified speaker world that can compete for that price.

If you are thinking the M10's (because you want a 2.1 system), I think you should consider the D1080 MkII's. Only a few bucks more, but a much more impressive sound (even though only 2.0).

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3318 (scroll down to "Speakers")

I've never heard the M-Audio's, but they seem to have good reviews. Don't get caught up in nonsense terms like "Prosumer", "HiFi" or "Monitor" - no real Pro's buy "Prosumer", I should hope that all of these speakers try to be "High Fidelity" and none of these "monitors" are going to be used as real studio monitors...

6. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

im going thru the same dilemma .. whether to get the swan m10s or the m-audios .. i dont really have room for a 2.1 setup but i just love the look of the swan m10s .. i need to spread them out around a possible 2x30 monitor setup .. are the wires long enough?

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, if you put the midwoofer in between. They are also RCA so extending them is fairly easy.

As for the above debate, my point was to point out that Swan is not just some Best Buy brand. My sig explains my personal preferences.

8. FreedomPirate01 macrumors newbie

FreedomPirate01

9. iPhilPHX macrumors regular

iPhilPHX

... which is probably pretty pricey for the average Chinese income

10. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok...how about you find out how much the shipping is to Greece, buy one for me, and I will PP you the money...deal? :D

11. swamesp macrumors regular

Me too in same boat and I will choose M-Audio than Swan, as the latter operates only in 60Hz AC, while M-Audio operates in both 50 and 60 A.C.