Swap 2016 13" for 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TriApple, Mar 4, 2017.

1. TriApple macrumors member

For anyone that did this... bought the 13" this year and moved to 15"... did you notice the larger footprint enough that it bothered you? I travel all the time, but I am in FC 99% of the time, so plenty of space, and I'm really interested in the larger screen, but don't want the laptop to feel huge.

The better battery life will be a plus too, of course, but the main driver for the switch would be the screen.

2. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I don't travel much but I did move from 13" to 15" the larger screen is worth it when using spreadsheets.

3. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I bought a 2015 15 last year thinking I couldn't get by with a 13. I just picked up a 2011 13 off CL and am kind of rethinking that.

I find that having multiple windows open isn't really that much nicer on a 15, and the 13 generally has enough space for a single window. This of course changes depending on use and doesn't account for the performance difference between the two.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I seem to go back and forth between 13" and 15" I'm currently using a 13" laptop and I'm at a point where I think I want a larger display given my old eyes, so I'll be looking at a 15" model at some point in the near future.

While 13" laptops are easier to travel with and use on airplanes, I think the 15" display offers a lot and so I'd recommend that.

5. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Wow your jumping around a bit :)

I just read your other thread re 76mb excel and I thought you got a 13" MBP to replace your 2016 rMB

I was wondering the boost you got was more related to the faster SSD than CPU for excel due to swap memory although you have no doubt gone up 8gb too

I too use very large excel sheets with many pivot tables and vlook-ups but my recalc times are nothing like yours on any platform, sure if I insert a line or delete multiple lines using filter that can take mins in a huge data set. I tend to have maros to stop re-calcs etc every time a cell changes

FC still does not help getting to and from airplane :) and after carrying a rMB a 15" is a big difference

6. TriApple thread starter macrumors member

Haha... yeah... I bought the m5 this past summer, replacing my surfacebook as I wanted to have a Mac across all devices again (iMessage for me is the killer app, among a couple other things). Anyway the m5 was awesome for carrying around.. loved it. But it really does not meet performance expectations for my usage (as previously described).

After research I decided to get the 2016 MBP but wasn't sure which one... Portability is great for me, but I'm not really sweating an extra 1-2 pounds in my bag. I'm more worried about the actual footprint of the device... airplane tables are small, cafe tables are small sometimes, and a dinner table with 3 coworkers with their laptops out is also small...

That said, I love the idea of a large screen and the increased viewing I could have, while still being able to read, on a large excel, working inside a Prezi, or 2 word docs side by side.

Just not sure it is worth the "cost" of the size increase... not really the weight.

I got the 8gb version of the 2016 MBP and I indeed do hit 8gb+ regularly when working during the week. I have no doubt the increased SSD speed is meaningful after reviewing benchmarks of it compared to the rMB. I'd say most impressive to me is the increased screen size.. which again leads me to consider returning during my window (45 days due to Best Buy Elite+) for the 15".

7. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I went the opposite direction and exchanged my 15" tMBP for a 13" tMBP because I found the 15" to be too big. It's been a few months with the 13" and now, whenever I find myself in an Apple Store, I play with the 15" for a minute and laugh at just how much bigger it is.

If I used it as a non-mobile computer most of the time I'd consider it but since I have to travel around quite a bit, I can't even consider the 15".

8. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Yes not sure it's worth the cost as the extra grunt of the 15" may be more suited to multimedia types and developers (or other niche scenarios) where there is more software to use quad core cpu especially as you need to be in W10 to currently get the most out of MSOffice suite (Excel etc).

I'm not sure if it's my workflow or just old school habits but I never have multiple apps open let alone 10's of tabs, I simple would get lost :)

I still find a mouse is far superior with large spreadsheets and so valuable desk space is further reduced and the TP is more casual than for serious work for me

Real-estate is nice for side by side comparisons but at the end of the day your output is A4/letter size as to is most reading, PDF's etc.

If you also carry an IPad or IPP you can use that as a dual screen for side by side document editing and get more out of both devices at work or hotel