Swap 3G and 3GS sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cardsdoc, Jun 9, 2009.

1. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

I have a 3g iphone but not eligible (like most) for the subsidized price. I was planning to give my current iphone to my wife and purchase a 3GS. She is not currently on ATT. Would it be pretty straight forward to add her as a new line, get the subsidized 3GS on her line, and then swap the sim cards so I can have the 3GS on my line? What else would be involved with this?

2. astrumfe Guest

you can swap the 3g sim card with the 3gS, i just talked to an att&t guy

3. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

That's pretty much it dude. The only thing is your wife has to accept the fact that she's in a 2 year contract but with an iPhone 3G it shouldn't be so bad ;)

4. cardsdoc thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that all that is required? Is there any sort of re-activation needed that links your physical hardware to the account?

5. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Yep that's it! That's the magic of SIM cards and why I love GSM phones

if it was Verizon or Sprint you'd have a crazy time verifying serial numbers and account information....just a mess

6. cardsdoc thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks. She may actually keep the 3GS until she gets a new car with built in bluetooth with voice dialing. This is assuming bluetooth headsets will support voice control on the 3GS. She needs to be completely handsfree as do I. I can do voice dialing with the 3G via my car already. Sorry for getting off topic.