Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I swap my AT&T SIM between my 6s and SE without any issues. Rest assured, you will not be charged.

serega

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Seattle
Always buying unlocked sim free phone from apple, swapped SIM card, done. Never seen activation fee from Verizon in this case.

Sampple

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
Anyone know why I can't just use my existing SIM? They are both no-contract phones. I don't see why I should be paying AT&T $45 or whatever just to use my new phone.

Wait what?
I switch sims into other phones OCD style several times per month, between larger and smaller unlocked iPhones and Xperia phones.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I just wait for the official sim free unlocked phone. When I buy this model, it's very hassle free and I just pop the sim out of my old phone and pop it in this one. Boom, done, no hassle, no different than me having two phones and moving sim back and forth.

I find it best to completely segregate the phone hardware buying from phone service.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
I recently replaced two 4s models with a 7 and 7+. Of course, that required a different sized SIM card. I dropped by an AT&T store and they gave me two SIMS free. Then, I got the two unlocked "world" phones at an Apple store. Called AT&T to deactivate the 4s and activate the 7. Zero hassle and zero activation fees. That said, I do have other Apple gear on a data plan, and numerous additional AT&T services (landline, UVERSE TV, internet), but I don't think that played a role in them not charging an activation fee. Didn't hurt though, that's for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.