Swap Hard Drives One MBP to Another?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gryfon19, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Gryfon19 macrumors regular

I have an 15" MBP I am selling and ordering a 13" smaller one for travel, etc. Can I simply put the "old" hard drive in the new laptop and vice versa? That way, I maintain everything on the new hard drive and can sell the old laptop without worrying about personal data, etc?

Or is it a more convoluded process by which I can't just swap an already formatted hard drive w/ Boot Camp (read: Windows), etc. on it?

Thanks!

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Very poor idea. If you had two identical 15" MBP's you wanted to do that with it would work because the hardware is the same and settings wouldn't matter. However if you try to move from a 15" to 13" you are asking for a world of trouble. It's much more simple to backup using Time Machine and then when the 13" arrives just restore from TM.

Regards,

Roger

3. CW Jones macrumors 6502

OSX is NOT hardware specific, so you would have no issues switching between different hardware. The operating system will figure everything out. I have done it numerous times without any issue. Even going from an imac image to a MBP HDD.

4. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

+1

Have done it all the time. You may need to run disk permissions after you turn it on.

5. Gryfon19 thread starter macrumors regular

So it sounds like it will work fine, good. Thanks for the responses.

I'm not selling the old one until I've setup the new one, so if all else fails it's still around.

Thanks again.