Swap hard drives w/o reinstalling OS?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Obsidian6, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I've never done this before, but I'm curious if I was to swap the hard drive from my macbook and my macbook pro if they would still boot and operate as normal?

I'm plenty capable of taking them apart, I just would like to know if I can save myself the time of reinstalling the OS by just swapping the drives.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I think you will find that they will both boot and work fine.......

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Yes. Use a clone program like SuperDuper (free) to copy your current OS image to your new drive first... then swap it out with the old one.

Edit: Never mind. I misread.

4. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

so far so good. Everything seems to be ok on both units.

Thanks guys!

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you didn't initialize your new drive with a GUID partition table it will not boot.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

He was switching them between some MB and an MBP...I'm sure they're both setup with GUID partition tables.

You may run in to some driver conflicts though OP, just because each OS install is fairly specific for that model. Most standout would be the lack of a GPU on the BlackBook/the presence of a dedicated GPU on the Pro.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

OK - I misunderstood - I thought it was a new drive transfer.

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

That isn't so.

OSX automatically detects the drivers required on bootup. This is why I can boot from my external HD with 10.5.8 on both MBs and my G4 and everything works!

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Good to know! I thought the installation was model'ish specific like the OS DVDs that come with the computers...whoops!

10. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

everything went smooth for the macbook, it's running wonderfully with the 7200rpm drive in there.

I did run into 1 issue on the macbook pro. My father uses it in clamshell mode 99% of the time, I went to re-connect the bluetooth mouse and keyboard and at first they just wouldn't respond. I manually removed and re-added them and they began to work again however when in clamshell mode I'm not able to click on anything or open anything on the desktop.

Also when I open the screen back up nothing happens. If I reboot the MBP then both screens will respond again and the "non-clicking" issue disappears. Only to reappear again as soon as you close the lid.

I've never had something like this happen before, any idea what's causing it?

11. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Do you have the power adapter plugged in? I know the MacBooks only work correctly when plugged in. Perhaps the hard drive swap worked flawlessly, but the MBP is confused slightly and in this case thinks it's a regular MacBook. I know that doesn't really make sense because of the way the operating system runs, however, don't forget that exact science is not an exact science.

12. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

Absolutely, everything is plugged in to the appropriate powersources. I imagine it is getting confused and I may have to do a restore (I did a full backup beforehand just in case)

13. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

Does anyone else have any idea as to why the keyboard and mouse freak out when the computer is in clamshell mode?

14. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

bumping back up. Still trying to find an answer to this issue. Is restoring my only option?