Swap HD from newer MBP to Older MBP?

WonderWyze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Hey all,

New around here, but have found many answers to questions in these forums in the past.

But my current situation finally made me register. I had a 2011 13" MBP die due to a drink spill, logic board is done but the HD is fine. Was wondering if I could swap the hard drive from this "newer" machine into my 2009 15" MBP that's just been sitting around.

I was only able to find threads about swapping old HDs into newer machines, but never the reverse so I'm not sure if this would work.

Older Machine is currently running the latest version El Capitan and the newer machine was running Sierra before it met its demise.

Would love any advice.

Thanks,
WW

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
It will probably work, but the safest option would be to migrate the data from the HDD using an external enclosure.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
It would be an unsupported operating system on a 2009 MBP, although many are running Sierra on unsupported Macs - as it is a 15-inch, does Sierra have the kexts for the 2009 GPU?

WonderWyze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
It would be an unsupported operating system on a 2009 MBP, although many are running Sierra on unsupported Macs - as it is a 15-inch, does Sierra have the kexts for the 2009 GPU?
To be honest, I'd be lying if I told you I know what you're talking about...lol.

Reactions: MacInTO

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
To be honest, I'd be lying if I told you I know what you're talking about...lol.
In layman's terms, it won't work by simply swapping the drive.

However, you can hack it to make it run.

The answer to how it's done is on this forum or Google, I'm sure!