Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belasj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I cant turn my imac on anymore:( Sounds like hard disk problem....
and my apple care protection just gone 10 days ago:( and i m gonna try fix it myself. I found few tips for how to do it like:
http://home.comcast.net/~woojo/DFFA53A0-F23D-4541-9015-481FD3B6532E/iMac_Disassembly.html
but i need to buy a new one to do it
So anyone knows any tips for how to do it (better than this link)
and any suggestions for which hard disk should I get and from where?
All this is for an imac 20" 2.16 (white) and I m based in london
thanks

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Sorry to hear about your bad timing.

Once you've established that the HD is the issue, hop on over to ifixit.com for instructions (their parts are pricey, so look elsewhere if you need to save moola).

nebarik

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
oo, the white imac.(the aluminium ones are really difficult and fragile) that might actually be doable for you. i dont recommend it unless you have some experience with this stuff. but its pretty straight forward. instructions can be found on ifixit. i had a quick look at that website and its forgotten a very important step. you need to unclip the clips holding the top of the screen to the case.

after taking out the screws underneath, you need to poke a card shaped piece of plastic up the vents at the back into the corners. until it unclips and the front comes off some. THEN lay it on its back, pull the top off halfwa first, then attempt to pull the bottom up and lift it over like in the pic.

also, dont go doing it on a bed, or carpet, or anythign that creates static electricty and can kill your logic board. try a wodden table and ground yourself.

other then that, get a apple tech to fix it for you

belasj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
thanks so much but finally after pressure applecare will fix it!!!!
great!!!

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
thanks so much but finally after pressure applecare will fix it!!!!

Whoa. How'd ya manage that? Lots of members here want to know the secret to getting applecare to cover something that's even 15 minutes out of warranty :p

belasj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
well I told them that this happen once more a month ago, that is true, but I manage to turn it on again and that is not fair cause my applecare expired few days ago and I was about to call anyway. So after a long conversation and no result I ask to speak to his manager. After 2 minutes talk he said that he will do an exception and they will cover the cost to fix it!!!!
Just Great!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.