Swap iP5 at Apple Store question...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AuroraProject, Dec 29, 2012.

1. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

My iPhone 5 sleep/wake button has stopped working and I need to get it replaced. I am away from my home computer and haven't backed up in awhile, I do not use iCloud for backing up.

If I walk into an Apple Store and swap my phone for a working one will they transfer all data & settings over for me? Thanks.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

They'll use iCloud to do it in the store so you might as well make an iCloud backup now.

3. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

But that doesn't backup the pictures right? I'm trying to avoid losing anything in the process.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You have 5GB of space for free. Pictures and videos are included in that 5GB.

iCloud

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

PhotoSync would allow you to copy your photos to almost anything. Dropbox, FTP, WebDAV...

6. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Photo stream will have your last 1000 pictures. That should work perfectly.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Your camera roll will be backed up, but not synced photos.

The general rule of thumb with iCloud - if comes from iTunes, it won't be backed up. Everything else will be. Downloaded iTunes content is backed up as it's re-downloaded from the iTunes servers, and doesn't count towards your storage limit.

Contacts: Backed Up
    Mail: Not backed Up (Re-synced from Server)
    Music: Purchased from iTunes (Backed Up), Ripped from CD (Not Backed Up)
    Photos: Camera Roll (Backed Up), Synced from iPhoto (Not Backed Up)
    Video: Bought from iTunes (Backed Up), Ripped from DVD (Not Backed Up), taken with the camera (Backed Up)

8. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Thanks! I have Photosync & Dropbox, but was unaware that I could do that! You learn something new everyday.

9. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Turns out they don't copy or backup anything for you. I was told I would walk out with an ip5 in out of the box condition, and to connect it to my home computer and do a restore from backup. I passed on the swap today, I'll have to create a backup and live with a defective sleep/wake button for awhile.

10. DefBref macrumors 6502

When I got a swap, they checked when my last icloud backup had been (I had only just done one as I knew I was about to swap it), they then did the swap and advised me I was welcome to stay in the store using their free wifi to allow the restore to complete.

11. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

The OP would probably be allowed to do the same. The employees just weren't going to commit to doing it for him. :)