Swap Mac Book Pro 2011 HDD with Intel Core 2 Duo Mini

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gooberq, Apr 10, 2011.

1. gooberq macrumors member

I got the MacBook Pro 2011 model with 320 GB HDD, i have installed BootCamp with Win 7, i have a Mac Mini Intel Core 2 duo model with 500 GB HDD. Can i swap the HDD between Mac mini and MacBook pro, i want to backup the macbook pro contents and copy it back to 500 GB HDD, can some please advise how to do this.

I want to preserve all the config i did in the boot camp and move this to the 500 GB HDD. Thanks

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Just get an external hdd enclosure, take your current hdd out and place it inside of the enclosure. Put the hdd from the mac mini inside your macbook pro, use carbon copy cloner to copy the external (all of your old contents) to the new (one that was inside the mac mini). You can also use a time machine backup. You can google or youtube how to get the hdd's out, there are 1000's of tutorials!

3. gooberq thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, after i do this , can i increase the size of the win 7 boot camp partition, right now i have assigned 100 GB , i need to increase the boot camp partition to 250 GB.

Is it easy/advisable to increase the boot camp partition after cloning the drive or before cloning the drive.

the main reason i'm swapping the drive is to allocate more space to the boot camp partition without building the boot camp partition from scratch.

Thanks in advance.