Swap MBP Hard Drive to Mac Pro Tower?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tierangreen, Jul 8, 2012.

1. tierangreen macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

Someone spilled a pot of water onto my MacBook and obviously everything shorted out and died. As unfortunate as that is, I have a MacPro tower at home and I'm wondering if there's anyway I can mount it inside, grab the data, and deliver to one of my clients.

If not, does anybody know of how "data recovery" places do this? The MacBook is a 2009 Unibody which DOES NOT have the pull tab underneath. I know that hardrive is SATA, but I'm just wondering if I can plug that puppy into my MacPro and grab the important stuff, or at least backup to another external.

Won't have a lappy for a while, but **** happens. :S

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If your HDD is still alive, you can put it in a 2.5in HDD enclosure and extract data.

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Just get a SATA > USB adapter and it will run off the USB port without external power since it's a 2.5" drive.

You can probably find one of these at your local retailer.

Other things you can do:

1. Get an external enclosure and pop in this drive
    2. Get SATA + Power extension cord and connect to your Mac Pro
    3. 2.5 > 3.5" mount, since Mac Pro uses trays for SATA drives, you will need a 3.5" mount.

Good luck

4. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

I would recommend getting an internal 2.5" adapter over a USB one, it's just that extra bit more reliable, and is more likely to be read if there is a problem.

I use this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994098

there are much cheaper options though.

Disk Drill is a free option that you can use to recover files, though you will more than likely lose filenames, and I can't remember but the program is free up to a point, but will ask you to pay a fee for some advanced options.. either way, much cheaper than using a service.

----------

if you need more hard drive space, a good choice is getting one of Seagate's GoFlex Desk drives, they're currently $140 for 3TB from Best Buy, not only do you get a barracuda drive worth $170, but you also get a USB 3.0 Sata-USB dock, as the drives are designed to be interchangable with different adaptors, firewire, thunderbolt etc..

5. d00d macrumors regular

If you have a slot you can use in your Mac Pro, something like Newertech's Adaptadrive is pretty good and inexpensive. It will also act as a great bridge should you decide to put an SSD in there. :)

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/ADPTADRV/

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have two of those 3TB drives and I took them out of the enclosure and put them in a server as RAID 1. They constantly make clicking noise, which I assume is just the motor because the data is still there.

You should read up the reviews on 2/3/4TB drives. People complain all the time, especially with Seagate.

The quality has really gone downhill ever since the 1.5TB Seagate drive debacle from a couple of years ago.