Swap my 24" iMac for MacBook Air 13" & 27" Apple Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by OwenMeasures, Jan 26, 2012.

1. OwenMeasures macrumors 6502

OwenMeasures

Hi,

need some advise on what to do, hopefully one of you has done this before and can give me advise. i was think of Swapping my 24" iMac for MacBook Air 13" & 27" Apple Display, i am buying a MacBook Air anyway but didnt know if it was worth having 2 Macs, i dont really do any thing that requires alot of CPU usage but i do have a fairley large iTunes library...

please give me your thought if anyone has been in a similar posistion.

2. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

why not?

3. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I've had both a 24" iMac and every iteration of the 13" MBA. I also own a 24" Apple Cinema Display, which I'd like to replace with the current Thunderbolt display.

I'd add an external HDD to house your iTunes library.

I'd do it if I were you!

4. matess212 macrumors newbie

i did the same.
    for music on the go - iPhone is enough.
    for music on display place - external HDD is just fine (connected to thunderbolt display). but there is no audio out on thunderbolt display!!! you need to use air audio out connector.

5. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

That sounds like a good swap. I'd do it. That looks like its going to be a clean set up too, post pics once you get it all configured.

6. OwenMeasures thread starter macrumors 6502

OwenMeasures

can i have my iTunes on a external hd? so my library is being accessed from that drive... only when that drive is plugged in when i can listen to my library?

7. sam67uk macrumors member

I had a 24" iMac and sold that to buy a 27" ACD and 13" MacBook Air. Don't regret it for one second. I have the best of both worlds now, an ultra portable computer, and effectively a desktop machine when the Air is connected to an ACD.

If you need more space, then connect some external storage via usb. Or really blow the budget like I did with a Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt :D

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Yes, if you already have an iTunes library created just move it to the drive you want iTunes to access. Then when you open iTunes opt click the icon. It will ask where your library is. Select the alternative location and it will populate. If you don't have a library yet, just select create new and point it to the other drive you want it to be on. Now when you add music or buy music or do anything with iTunes it will end up on the other drive.

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

OP I would use firewire. It is faster then USB but much cheaper then TB.
    Also get this: http://twelvesouth.com/products/backpack/ to put your hard drive on- less clutter on your desktop.

Well you are at it; I would also get this:http://twelvesouth.com/products/BookArc_for_Air/

enjoy :)

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Firewire is complete overkill for music and movie watching. If you are actually editing HD video it is mandatory (tho you have to compress it).....but for standard media USB is perfectly fine.

11. torana355 macrumors 68020

Its funny you ask this question as im in a similar position. I have a 2008 24" iMac which has been flawless. The thing is i have quite a large media library so i have a 2tb hdd installed in the iMac with a 3tb external FW enclosure for backup.

Only last week i pulled the trigger on a 2011 MBA 13" and i have found im not using the iMac at all anymore. So im thinking of selling the iMac and buying a ATD. My biggest issue is i need a storage and backup solution as the MBA only has a 128gig SSD.

I can either continue to use my current backup drive for backing up my MBA's SSD and buy another usb or firewire external to put my media on and also back that up to my backup drive. Or i can go full hog and get a Thunderbolt raid like the Pegasus R6 and run it in raid 5???

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I guess thats true, but I would rather use the FW port then another USB port (I have way to many usb peripherals

13. torana355 macrumors 68020

You can get cheap, good quality FW800 enclosures with the Oxford chipsets from Epowermac or OWC.

14. sam67uk macrumors member

The only problem is that the MacBook Air does not have any Firewire ports. It's USB 2.0 or Thunderbolt if you are using one of the mid 2011 Airs.

15. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Correct - however if you have it hooked to a new TB display there is a firewire port on that. :cool:

16. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I am aware of that; I have a macbook air

This is what I was referring too

17. sam67uk macrumors member

I forgot about the FW800 port on the TB Display, used to a Cinema Display. I must resist upgrading! :)

18. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I feel your pain :)