Swap my 24" iMac for MacBook Air 13" & 27" Apple Display

OwenMeasures

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
London
Hi,

need some advise on what to do, hopefully one of you has done this before and can give me advise. i was think of Swapping my 24" iMac for MacBook Air 13" & 27" Apple Display, i am buying a MacBook Air anyway but didnt know if it was worth having 2 Macs, i dont really do any thing that requires alot of CPU usage but i do have a fairley large iTunes library...

please give me your thought if anyone has been in a similar posistion.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Hi,

need some advise on what to do, hopefully one of you has done this before and can give me advise. i was think of Swapping my 24" iMac for MacBook Air 13" & 27" Apple Display, i am buying a MacBook Air anyway but didnt know if it was worth having 2 Macs, i dont really do any thing that requires alot of CPU usage but i do have a fairley large iTunes library...

please give me your thought if anyone has been in a similar posistion.
why not?

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Midwest US
I've had both a 24" iMac and every iteration of the 13" MBA. I also own a 24" Apple Cinema Display, which I'd like to replace with the current Thunderbolt display.

I'd add an external HDD to house your iTunes library.

I'd do it if I were you!

matess212

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2010
i did the same.
for music on the go - iPhone is enough.
for music on display place - external HDD is just fine (connected to thunderbolt display). but there is no audio out on thunderbolt display!!! you need to use air audio out connector.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
That sounds like a good swap. I'd do it. That looks like its going to be a clean set up too, post pics once you get it all configured.

OwenMeasures

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
London
can i have my iTunes on a external hd? so my library is being accessed from that drive... only when that drive is plugged in when i can listen to my library?

sam67uk

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Northern Ireland
I had a 24" iMac and sold that to buy a 27" ACD and 13" MacBook Air. Don't regret it for one second. I have the best of both worlds now, an ultra portable computer, and effectively a desktop machine when the Air is connected to an ACD.

If you need more space, then connect some external storage via usb. Or really blow the budget like I did with a Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt :D

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
can i have my iTunes on a external hd? so my library is being accessed from that drive... only when that drive is plugged in when i can listen to my library?
Yes, if you already have an iTunes library created just move it to the drive you want iTunes to access. Then when you open iTunes opt click the icon. It will ask where your library is. Select the alternative location and it will populate. If you don't have a library yet, just select create new and point it to the other drive you want it to be on. Now when you add music or buy music or do anything with iTunes it will end up on the other drive.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
OP I would use firewire. It is faster then USB but much cheaper then TB.
Also get this: http://twelvesouth.com/products/backpack/ to put your hard drive on- less clutter on your desktop.

Well you are at it; I would also get this:http://twelvesouth.com/products/BookArc_for_Air/

enjoy :)
Firewire is complete overkill for music and movie watching. If you are actually editing HD video it is mandatory (tho you have to compress it).....but for standard media USB is perfectly fine.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Its funny you ask this question as im in a similar position. I have a 2008 24" iMac which has been flawless. The thing is i have quite a large media library so i have a 2tb hdd installed in the iMac with a 3tb external FW enclosure for backup.

Only last week i pulled the trigger on a 2011 MBA 13" and i have found im not using the iMac at all anymore. So im thinking of selling the iMac and buying a ATD. My biggest issue is i need a storage and backup solution as the MBA only has a 128gig SSD.

I can either continue to use my current backup drive for backing up my MBA's SSD and buy another usb or firewire external to put my media on and also back that up to my backup drive. Or i can go full hog and get a Thunderbolt raid like the Pegasus R6 and run it in raid 5???

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Firewire is complete overkill for music and movie watching. If you are actually editing HD video it is mandatory (tho you have to compress it).....but for standard media USB is perfectly fine.
I guess thats true, but I would rather use the FW port then another USB port (I have way to many usb peripherals

sam67uk

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Northern Ireland

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
The only problem is that the MacBook Air does not have any Firewire ports. It's USB 2.0 or Thunderbolt if you are using one of the mid 2011 Airs.
Correct - however if you have it hooked to a new TB display there is a firewire port on that. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.