Carrier Swap New Phone

RobertJ007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
So we ordered the Xs Max on the GF AT&T account and should be arriving Friday.

She will take my old X.

So do I put in my sim on the MAX before turning it on or activate the MAX and then SWAP Sim cards?

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
It makes no difference. Your "stuff" is tied to your AppleID, not your SIM. Backup your phones to iCloud. Then go to Settings > General > Reset and select Erase all Content and Settings. When you set up the new phone you'll enter your iCloud credentials and set up the phone with your stuff. When she sets up her 'new' X she will put in her credentials and set up the phone with her stuff. You will need to tell the phone company so that her number can be associated with the X and yours with the XS.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Looks like you guys might be in separate AT&T accounts? If so I would activate the phone first on her account so that there isn’t any mixups. Then just swap sims.

Reactions: iphone1027

RobertJ007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Looks like you guys might be in separate AT&T accounts? If so I would activate the phone first on her account so that there isn’t any mixups. Then just swap sims.
Correct, two different accounts.
I was thinking the same - power up the Max when it arrives and let it activate. Then swap sims.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.