Swap old MBP for newer MBP? Please help...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dreamalot, Oct 16, 2008.

1. dreamalot macrumors newbie

If price was no option would you go for the older MBP or the updated just released version? I have to decide by tomorrow (that's as long as I have to switch my recently purchased 15" MBP with the newer model.)

After reading through so many posts, I'm really confused as to what I should do. I definitely prefer the matt screen and the current keyboard, but of course, if the updates outweigh these two, then I'd rather have the 'better machine'.
    I would eventually like to use my laptop for video editing (final cut pro), so that is also a consideration.

Any informed help would be so appreciated as I have to make this decision asap. I'm quite happy with my current MBP, but am wondering if it would overall be a better choice to go for the newer model if price difference is no consideration.

thanks in advance...

2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

first: please define better.
    my brother bought the previous generation yesterday, for him BETTER means having the matte screen and the powerbook keyboards he's been used to all these years.

second: any particular application that you're intending to use that WILL dramatically improve with the bumps in specs of the new MBP?

third: re-stocking fee

3. dreamalot thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply...

re better: sorry for being so vague, but i'm terribly unaware of the tech differences between the two machines (i've read up on it on many threads here, but still don't understand much of how it translates practically speaking).

second: final cut pro is what i'm questioning: will the updates affect this greatly? (in terms of speed, etc.?)

third: negligible as this laptop is an investment that i plan on using for several years - i didn't want this to be a consideration in determining which laptop would better serve me in the long run...

4. dreamalot thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone else have any advice - desperately needed as today is the last day i could switch??

If you could have the older or the new macbook pro and the price was the same, which one would you go for?

Any advice is much appreciated!! Especially those who have actually seen/tried the new 15" macbook pros...

thanks...

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

If price is the same, and you can live with/love the glossy display, definitely get the newer model. It's built better, runs cooler, runs faster, and is gorgeous. End of story.

6. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Oh, also your nVidia 8600 is going to die, so DITCH THE OLD ONE NOW!!! GET THE NEW ONE!

Seriously though.

7. dreamalot thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your replies - so, is the new mbp significantly better for running final cut pro? again, i prefer the older keyboard and a matte screen, but if the newer mbp will be better for video editing, please let me know...

again, thanks...

8. Phenobarbital4U macrumors newbie

go for the old one. You will get a machine that you love and feels right. As well as save money. The difference in hardware will not be noticed. Besides, the comfy keyboard and matte screen is all that matters right!!! :D

9. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

Get the new one.

Don't listen to all these complainers about the new glossy screen. Go check one out for yourself but from what I gather almost everyone who has tried the new MBP in person just loves it. I looked at one the other day and it was awesome :)

Add to that better graphics performance, better battery life, better overall performance, new glass trackpad, and it runs cooler. The design is revolutionary. Its the best looking laptop on the market :)

The decision would be clear for me. By the way, your older model will mostly likely suffer from a video failure. Old MBPs are flawed.

Get the new one!

Kan-O-Z

10. futuremac macrumors member

I just got a great deal on a brand new last gen MBP with the 512 graphics card in Australia. Was waiting on the new ones but my heart sank when I saw the keynote and the price. I am very pleased with my matte screen MBP, it's such a welcome difference compared to the glossy screen my last notebook had.

Final Cut Pro will be its primary purpose, and as far as I know the last gen MBP vs the new ones the performance is negligible. Also I'm not concerned about the graphics card fiasco, they've already extended the warranty to 2 years on it even if you don't have AppleCare, and who knows maybe if it keeps stuffing up you'll end up with a complimentary brand new next gen notebook one day.