Swap opticals between Mac mini and PowerBook?

weldon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2004
643
0
Denver, CO
Is it possible to swap the optical drives between a Mac mini and a PowerBook G4?

I've got a 12" rev.A w/ SuperDrive and I'm thinking about buying a mini with a combo drive. I only really need one SuperDrive so it could go in the mini where I would move most of the iMovie stuff I have.
 

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
1,821
0
The swap is possible as the slot loading drives are a standard siz and should theoretically fit, so that shouldnt be a problem, the problems is replacing the powerbook optical is not very easy, but it is dooable so have a search on the net on how to open up and replace the powerbook optical drive and you should be on your way..

ShadOW ;)
 

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
2,174
2
Las Vegas, NV
weldon said:
I've got a 12" rev.A w/ SuperDrive and I'm thinking about buying a mini with a combo drive. I only really need one SuperDrive so it could go in the mini where I would move most of the iMovie stuff I have.
The only problem with that plan is that for all the effort of disassembling and reassembling both machines, you'll end up with a 2x DVD burner in the mini. It might be far cheaper time-wise to get a reconditioned 16x FireWire external double-layer DVD burner from LaCie.com's clearance page. I've seen them for $95 lately.
 

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
566
1
Madison, WI
Rod Rod said:
The only problem with that plan is that for all the effort of disassembling and reassembling both machines, you'll end up with a 2x DVD burner in the mini. It might be far cheaper time-wise to get a reconditioned 16x FireWire external double-layer DVD burner from LaCie.com's clearance page. I've seen them for $95 lately.

Does LaCie support Apple programs? iDVD for example.
 

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
2,174
2
Las Vegas, NV
gammamonk said:
Does LaCie support Apple programs? iDVD for example.
Yes, if you're talking about iDVD 5. iDVD 4 requires an easter egg to make it work with external DVD burners. Whether the LaCie external would work for double-layer iDVD 5 projects, I don't know, but single layer projects will certainly work.
 

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
2,872
0
Rod Rod said:
Yes, if you're talking about iDVD 5. iDVD 4 requires an easter egg to make it work with external DVD burners. Whether the LaCie external would work for double-layer iDVD 5 projects, I don't know, but single layer projects will certainly work.
hmm that is a good question. i haven't tried my firewire dual-layer drive on an iDVD DL project.