Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaeyde

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
I have a white macbook I bought in July.
2.4, 250, 4 gigs of RAM.

Question.

Is it possible to buy a new aluminum macbook, swap out its hard drive with my current HD, pop in the extra 2 gigs of RAM, and have a working aluminum macbook with all my current files and whatnot?
Or is there an OS issue with the trackpad?

I'm thinking of maybe doing that and then selling my current one with the new HD in it.

Is that easy enough to do?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Or is there an OS issue with the trackpad?

You wouldn't be able to use the trackpad's extra features at first, but I don't see why you couldn't then perform an upgrade or repair install from the Aluminum Macbook's Leopard install disk and have a normal computer. I could be wrong.

ogaramfa

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
Swapping RAM between the white/black MacBook and the aluminum one is not possible. The former uses DDR2 RAM; the latter, DDR3.

pscraig

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
I have a white macbook I bought in July.
2.4, 250, 4 gigs of RAM.

swap out its hard drive with my current HD, pop in the extra 2 gigs of RAM, and have a working aluminum macbook with all my current files and whatnot?

I can confirm this will not work at all-I tried to boot my new Al Macbook with a drive from my 2006 Macbook and it started to boot, then shut down. I asked an Apple Genius about this and his best idea was a different build of OS X.

It does work in reverse-the drive from my new Macbook boots up fine installed in the old Macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.