Swap out low-res for high in store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rob9874, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Rob9874 macrumors 6502

I got a low-res 15" MBP, and think I want the high-res now. How would I go about that, since they don't carry the high-res $1799 15" in the store? Would they have it sent to the store, and then I could go in and swap it?

2. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

I hear that some stores are carrying the high res maybe call around and see if anyone close has it>

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

No, you have to order it from Apple.com
    ALTHOUGH, two of my local Apple Stores do carry a few CTO high res models. Call around and see if any of your local stores have some...

4. bcrawfo2 macrumors member

The day after release...my store had an AG 15" with 2.3 proc and the 750g hd. Didn't make sense to me, so I custom ordered. I wanted the AG, 2.2, with 500g hard drive for best cost/performance until the new line of SSDs come out.

5. Rob9874 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, local store has "all 15 inch MPB's in stock", the rep told me. Guess I'm going tonight. Not sure I need high-res, but hate having a 1% feeling of remorse or doubt about my new MBP.

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No!

I called around today and it seems that stores ONLY have the two "base" models of the 15", and then limited quantity of 2.3Ghz + High-Res Antiglare.

Obviously HDD and RAM can be swapped for any model as can software, but in terms of CPU+Screens, you're limited to these three options :(

7. ozred macrumors 6502

Simple. Call Apple customer service & they will answer your questions. Everyone's situations are unique. The chances of getting an accurate answer on the forum is very low.

8. ramo macrumors member

If you want the Hi-Res you're most likely going to have to return your 15" and custom order the hi-res off the website. They do no swap displays in store if thats what you're asking.

9. Rob9874 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for clarifying. After reading your post, I called back, and they confirmed it. The guy told me they don't even make base model 15" with a high-res screen. I told him they do, but it sounds like I'd have to order it BTO. I don't even know how I'd replace my current MBP with a BTO online. Guess I'll keep my standard-res. That's what I get for having to have it on release day.

10. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Can't you order the BTO online now & then you return your current MBP to the place of purchase for a full refund? :confused:

11. Whitelightning macrumors regular

Experience shows that they say they have a particular model your looking for in stock, but when you actually go to the store and ask... they don't.

I think its a way to get you to walk into the store, get disappointed about your selection not being available, but then be able to place an order in the store, or see another one they have in stock that you might get interested so you would buy from the store.

12. wdahab macrumors newbie

This happened to me. I called on Thursday, they said they had the 15" 2.2ghz AG in stock, I canceled my online order, went to pick up that model and it turned out they only had the 2.3ghz AG. After being a bit bummed, and agreeing to pay $125 for the upgrade (as opposed to $250), they knocked it all the way down to the original price (actually, +$10, but I wasn't so worried about that :) )

13. Rob9874 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I ended up doing.