Swap screen assembly between 2010 and 2011 17inch MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mike Boreham, Jan 19, 2014.

  1. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    I have an immaculate 17 inch 2010 MBP with matte screen which I hardly use, and a late 2011 17 inch MBP, also matte screen, on which there is a dent in the top cover.

    I am thinking about swapping the screen and top cover assembly so that the 2011 MBP has the good case.

    This link says that the actual LCD part is the same on all 17 inch matte MBPs, but there might be other differences.

    Watching iFixit and other guides it is relatively simple to remove the whole screen assembly but more difficult to remove the LCD from the top case. So I would like just to swap the screen assembly.

    Anyone done what I am considering? or got any comment?

    Thanks.
     
  2. macNwindow macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2013
    #2
    good luck! I wouldn't go through all that trouble for cosmetics. Think of the dent as a unique characteristic. It's a sturdy computer, let the thing prove itself and show it off!
     
  3. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    49% of me agrees with you, the other 51% wants it dent-free!

    I will ponder some more, and if I do go ahead I will probably stop at first obstacle.
     
  4. simonsi macrumors 601

    simonsi

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2014
    Location:
    Auckland
    #4
    Risk vs reward too skewed against success for me to even consider this. You could easily end up with 2x new screens needed...
     

Share This Page