swap serial ata HD for SSD in DVD slot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Caraj, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Caraj macrumors member

HI
    Early 2011 Macbook pro 15"

I have a 256 GB SSD installed where the original HD was located and a 1TB ATA drive installed where my DVD drive used to be.

my 1TB drive died and I want to replace it with a 512GB SSD. Can I just swap out the 1TB drive and replace it with the new SSD drive?

I am guessing I need a new adapter (and cable?) to place the new SSD in since the adapter currently housing my 1 TB hdd is a serial ATA?

And finally, since I have my OS and other apps already on the 256 SSD, does it even make sense to install a SSD in place of a regular HDD if it is just to store music/photos/data?

THANKS

2. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I'm very curious to know the answer to this question myself. I just purchased a 13" cMPB where I will be swapping out a 256 SSD for the current 512GB mechanical drive to keep the superdrive for now.

However, if I eventually get squeezed and run out of room, my plan is to replace the optical drive with a second SSD. I'm very curious how this would work as well, and if you can get the separate SSD drives to work in conjunction or not.

3. dannylillhtc macrumors member

dannylillhtc

SSD's are SATA so no extra adapter required, just take the 1tb out of the adapter its in and put the ssd into it.

----------

youll need an optical drive adapter OWC sell them as data doublers, the OP already has one clearly so no adapter required.

4. Caraj thread starter macrumors member