Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Swap SIM Card from Mini to Pro

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Can I just swap SIMs? Seems like from one type of ipad to another ATT has to do something on there end.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
In my experience, you're good to go. But, caveat, I've only done this on "unlocked" iPads or iPhones.

Reactions: jjk454ss
Comment

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Yes. Just swap and go. Carrier has to do nothing.

Thanks, that's what thought, but I know I had to call them to do it one time for some reason.
[doublepost=1463507711][/doublepost]
In my experience, you're good to go. But, caveat, I've only done this on "unlocked" iPads or iPhones.
Maybe that's what it was, it was an older ipad and maybe that had something to do with it. Hoping to just swap mini 4 to Pro this time.

Comment

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
Thanks, that's what thought, but I know I had to call them to do it one time for some reason.
[doublepost=1463507711][/doublepost]
Maybe that's what it was, it was an older ipad and maybe that had something to do with it. Hoping to just swap mini 4 to Pro this time.

I had a T-Mobile SIM in my Mini 4 (bought it used) and went to the Apple Store yesterday, popped in an Apple SIM, and have the T-Mobile free-data + option for that cheap 5-month plan. I think Apple has made cellular service a lot less scary.

Comment

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Can I just swap SIMs? Seems like from one type of ipad to another ATT has to do something on there end.

No, just swap and go, AT&T will now detect your new device automatically. I swap sims all the time between not only different iPad, but different devices altogether (MiFi's, Laptops, etc.) and never have a problem.

Comment

JT2002TJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2013
All iPads sold in the US (with the exception of grey-market imports intended for non-US markets) are unlocked.

I do not believe this is true, I believe the AT&T discounted under contract version Ipads are locked until the contract is up.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.