Swap SIM Cards between 6 & 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmfilicetti, Oct 14, 2014.

1. dmfilicetti macrumors newbie

Oct 14, 2014
    Bergen County, NJ
    Hey everyone. First time poster. I bought an iPhone 6 on launch day and am having regret and want an iPhone 6 Plus instead but i'm past my 14 day return window. AT&T is annoying as expected but I ordered an iPhone 6 Plus from them directly and had to choose that it come with a new number. I am going to sell my iPhone 6 to my nephew and keep the iPhone 6 Plus for me. My question is, can I just put the SIM card from iPhone 6 into the iPhone 6 Plus and call it a day? Will it work and be activated or do I need to something else? Also do I first need to activate it with the SIM that comes with it (the one with the new number) or just swap out the SIM before I ever activate it? Thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.
  2. albertsw macrumors regular

Apr 3, 2012
    As long as your both on the same carrier it will be fine. It should be as simple as switching the SIMs
  3. mainomega macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2007
    Yea, i've been switching SIM's for years and it has never changed anything on the ATT side of things.
  4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    That's the beauty of gsm tech.
    Switch sims with any phone. Easy and simple.
  5. dmfilicetti thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 14, 2014
    Bergen County, NJ
    Do I need to activate it first with the SIM Card that comes with the new iPhone 6 Plus before I swap my iPhone 6 SIM into it!
  6. penajmz macrumors 68030

Sep 11, 2008
    New York City
    Not necessarily. Any sim will do as long as it is for the same network.
  7. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

Dec 8, 2009
    Yes you do.