Swap SIM to activate on an existing Verizon Account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ics55, Nov 2, 2017.

1. ics55 macrumors regular

Hi.

I’m upgrading from a 7+ to an X on an exiting Verizon account. Should I swap the SIM from my 7+ before beginning the restore or will Verizon do it automatically. I bought the phone from Apple.

Thanks!

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

If you bought it as an upgrade to your existing phone then there is no need to do any sim swapping. It will switch automatically.

3. SorsCode macrumors newbie

Swap the sim to save yourself the activation fee. If you power the phone on with the sim in that came with it, then it’s to late.

My process every year is, remove Sim, power phone on, update to same version my existing phone is on, then reset phone. Power off old phone, pull sim, put sim in new phone, power on new phone, restore from backup, go on with my day.

Never paid an activation fee following this process on Verizon since the iPhone 5.

4. farfromovin macrumors member

Good call! I like using the new sims cause it’s good to replace them every once in a while but your post makes sense... that’s how VZW triggers you “upgraded” and gets you for $30. I’ll swap both sims over tomorrow when UPS comes!

5. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Does the Verizon website/app still show the correct phone you’re using? Or does it show you’re still on an iPhone 5 or something?

6. SorsCode macrumors newbie

It will show the new phone almost instantly. Think the longest it took to update was 30 minutes.