Swap simcards from iPhone to RAZR after new iPhone comes out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dinosaur1, May 9, 2010.

1. dinosaur1 macrumors regular

I have a 3GS and my wife has a RAZR. I am not eligible get a new iPhone HD for a lower price until Feb. 2011 so I would be paying around $400 like I did last year unless the price drops. My wife, on the other hand, can upgrade and get a new iPhone HD for $200 unless the price drops.

My question is this. Can she order the iPhone HD online with her cell # and when we get it can I place my simcard into it and use it with my cell # instead?

So what I want to accomplish is to have her order the iPhone HD, pay $200 and when we get it I would use my simcard and she would basically continue to use her RAZR.

Does anyone know will the new iPhone use the same type of simcard the 3GS uses?

2. GodlyDan macrumors newbie

GodlyDan

The new iPhone will use MicroSim. Now I dont know if upgrading customers will be recieving new Micro Sims or not but i do know for a FACT that the SIM you have now WILL NOT work in the next iPhone

unless of course you risk cutting your SIM down to Micro size but thats your decision

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

upgrading customers will receive a new SIM. I got a new SIM w/ my last upgrade.

Assuming the new SIM is a micro-sim, you can just purchase a micro-SIM adapter and should be able to drop it in your RAZR and go.

4. dinosaur1 thread starter macrumors regular

So in reality can family plan members who have different upgrade intervals essentially do this like in my case to avoid paying more for a new iPhone? Only thing is how do I put my existing sim in the new iPhone.....probably can't.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

A) Cut it down to size (there are details on the web)
    B) trade it in for a new micro-sim and buy an adapter (again...search for adapters on the web)

6. dinosaur1 thread starter macrumors regular

what would at&t do when they see my # on the iPhone ordered for my wife's # originally? nothing probably correct?

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

They won't this type of scenario happens a lot. Once the new iPhone arrives activate it under your number and iTunes account. Chances are the new iPhone will not be activated. If it comes activated, you simply stop by an AT&T store and get a new micro sim for your account.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yep, this is normal activity. AT&T doesn't care. They get their money and your commitment either way. They don't care if the phone is placed on another number.

9. dinosaur1 thread starter macrumors regular

So what about when I call at&t to give them the IMIE info off of the iPhone when they update my account?

When I recently sold my iPhone I put the simcard in a GoPhone temporariliy so I called at&t and told them about it. They asked or the cell phone's IMIE and I told to temporarily take off the data plan until I get the new one.

I still I wouldn't be able to do what I would like to do here....

10. dinosaur1 thread starter macrumors regular

Even if my upgrade eligiblity isn't until Feb.2011? What will they say when I call in saying my wife doesn't want her iPhone and that I am taking it over instead? they might charge me full price instead of the upgrade eligibility price wouldn't they?

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

They will upgrade the eligible line. Then you move the phone to the line you want. It's that simple. Stop overthinking it.

12. dinosaur1 thread starter macrumors regular

When the iPhone arrives it's not already activated is it? I forget. So i can activate the simcard under my # wouldn't I? I plug it in activate iTunes and activate it under my line.