Swap US lock IP4 for UK unlock IP4 @ UK apple store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jalman11, Mar 25, 2011.

1. jalman11 macrumors member

Hi all, perhaps we have attempted this before. However, I have a locked AT&T iphone4 from the US and am currently in the UK.

I was thinking i could take the locked ip4 to an apple store in London, complain of the battery and try and swap it out under warranty, and perhaps they would give me a brand new unlocked ip4 (since thats what they sell there)...

Anyone have any luck with this??

Thanks!

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

doesn't happen, I've taken a locked UK phone in under warranty and got locked phone still.... when they do a phone swap you get like for like (locked iphone for locked iPhone)

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why do people always automatically go to lying and deceit as their first option?

4. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

LOL OP!!! You think Apple was born yesterday?

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not gonna happen. Europe/American phones are branded differently. Also Apple servers know the status lock of each phone.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im sure you're the first one that came up with that great idea:D
    The replacement phone you will get will have the same carrier properties as the one you hand it.
    When they put in the serial number in the system and then scan and give you the replacement phone all that is transfered automaticly.
    If you have a factory unlocked you get an unlocked one, if you got a locked version to a specific carrier you get a locked one.
    Its not the phone that makes a difference its the way its entered in their system.