Swappa experience?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Truefan31, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I'm looking to buy a 5s on swappa. What are my options for some insurance,since it's used?

2. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Square trade.... Never used them but it's insurance

3. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

4. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Well I bought a 5s on swappa. Hope it's as safe as advertised

5. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

??? Can u elaborate? I just hope I'm not ripped off. The seller has excellent feedback

6. KillaMac Suspended

You will be fine.

7. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

I have bought several phones on Swappa and have never had any issues. Just buy from people with good feedback. Could you still get ripped off on Swappa? Sure, there is always going to be some risk buying used phones sight unseen. But it's safer then ebay and CL, IMHO.

8. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

I've had positive experiences with Swappa, both buying and selling.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Similar to Craig's List or eBay or anything like that, can't the sellers easily report the phone as stolen later or perhaps stop making payments on it if it's still part of their contract and the carriers basically end up blacklisting the phone?

10. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

There is always going to be that risk when buying used phones from strangers, no matter the forum used. That is why anytime you buy used from somebody you have to be able to build some level of trust. It's likely somebody on swappa with prior sales and good feedback will be safe to buy from. Same with ebay with somebody with multiple good feedback from phone sales. I would only do CL if the seller was willing to meet at a store so that I could activate the phone with them in store and verify their acct status. And as always with any sale, a deal that seems too good to be true likely is. Know what the current market is for the device you are buying. If it seems you are getting a crazy price compared to the current market, you need to proceed with extra caution.

You can still get burned taking all the precautions in the world. But if you stick to doing good due dilligance before a transaction the odds are you will be ok.

11. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I've sold and bought with Swappa. I've had 0 issues. I prefer Swappa over CL or eBay.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

to actually answer your question OP b.c I think everyone read the first part and stopped reading haha.

I think you can only buy insurance through square trade if the phone is within 30 days of the purchase date. You may be able to get it insured through your carrier.

13. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Well the phone has supposedly never been activated. So I'm wondering if u can put AppleCare on it

14. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

+1 for Swappa also, I had a great experience with them. Insurance go Squaretrade, if the phone is "used" then you can get their monthly payment insurance plan, although I don't know how they interpret "used".

15. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah I'd like some insurance on it. Maybe I'll try AppleCare cuz the phone hasn't been activated but squaretrade does sound appealing.