Swappa iPhone Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nburwell, Dec 14, 2015.

1. nburwell, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015

nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have bought and sold numerous iPhone's without any issues. Until this past weekend.

Prior to upgrading to the 6s, I listed my 6 on Swappa. It was the Verizon model, but I used it on my AT&T account without any issues. I will preface that I bought the 6 on Swappa from another seller. I promptly shipped the phone out to the buyer. He acknowledged receipt of the phone and activated it on Verizon without any issues on October 22nd.

Fast forward to this past Saturday. I receive a message on Swappa from the buyer informing me that the 6 has been blacklisted on Verizon. The buyer called Verizon CS and a Rep informed him the device was used for "fraudulent purposes." When he contacted me, I was a bit skeptical since he was using the phone for almost two months without any issues. I reached out the seller who sold me the phone thinking he was the original owner (he was not). I asked him who the original seller was, and he did not know since he purchased the phone from CL (red flag).

While I know it's entirely possible, has anyone ever had/heard of a Verizon device they bought second hand be blacklisted two months later? I know that people run scams where they sell phones on eBay, then immediately claim the phone as lost/stolen and the buyer is left with an expensive paperweight.

We'll both be going through the rounds of opening a dispute via Paypal to get our money back, but I figured I would post on here to see what everyone thought of the situation.

2. ElBerryKM13 macrumors regular

Never seen it happen with verizon to be honest. Have you contacted verizon yourself and asked about that phone to see what they say about it? Or you just taking his word that phone is reported with verizon?

3. nburwell thread starter macrumors 68040

nburwell

I don't know how much Verizon would tell me considering I'm not a customer. I may call them tomorrow to inquire to see how much information I can get from them.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It can still be used on any GSM carrier besides Verizon.

5. cnotes2019 Suspended

Just do the Paypal dispute and you are good to go. There's always someone trying to scam someone even on SWAPPA. That's why I just give my phones to family and friends ....