swapped 8800 --> 2600pro now freezes only when internet connected

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sikhabib, Sep 4, 2013.

1. sikhabib, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

sikhabib macrumors newbie

I have an early 2008 3.06ghz c2d OSX10.7 iMac that had a bad 8800gs card. I kept the machine running for a few months by reflowing the video card every month or so until it died all together 6 months later.
    I just installed an ATI 2600 pro (661-4663) card i got off ebay which got the machine running again but my problem is the machine will hang if it's internet connected. If there is no internet connection I can be in OSX all day without a problem, if I connect to a wifi network or plug in an ethernet cable the machine will hang within a minute. When it hangs I can still move the mouse and click on things but they wont open (it acknowledges the click though), this even happens with no browser open and just with the machine sitting at the desktop

My troubleshooting steps:
    *happens via aiport and ethernet
    *Reset SMC and PRAM several times.
    *AHT shows no errors.
    *When running bootcamp Windows7 everything works 100%, I can be on the internet with no problems.
    *I have formatted the hard drive and reloaded OSX, at the final step of the installation where it asks you to connect to a wifi network it will hang about 30seconds after it connects. I skipped this part and was able to complete the installation after a reboot.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Im guessing its some incompatibility issue with the new video card as this was not happening until the new card went in.....

2. sikhabib thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally fixed!!!

When the old 8800 card failed 8 months ago i decided to buy a new 27" imac to replace it. Since then my old imac sat in the corner collecting dust until I finally found a cheap video card on ebay the other day.
    While the computer was out of action i upgraded my adsl modem to a Billion 7800vdpx that was shipped with firmware 2.22d, this firmware had a bug that caused some apple products to crash (something to do with IPv6).

I upgraded the firmware to the latest 2.32b and problem solved :)