Swapped HDD but new one wont work???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fazzl, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

So i sapped hdd. i got a WD passport 250gb and switched it with my 120gb default one. i then booted from my old hdd which is now an external and used super duper to copy all files to the new hdd but it wont boot from it. i hear the hdd spin but the mac apple circle thing keeps twirling and never boots. any help?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Yeah its formatted to mac os extended journaled then partitioned using GUID.

Then i went to super duper and said copy from hdd 1 to hdd2.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What if you install OSX from the install discs and then use Migration Assistant or an alternative to transfer to data. At least that'll test to see the drive is installed properly and functional. :)

5. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

maybe its cuz the new hdd has all the files copied from the other hdd but its not a clone. super duper just coped all the files over but i dont think its an actually image of the hdd. im going to try ccc

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Surely it's easier to install OSX from the install discs though.

7. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Ok im confused with what to do.

All my data is on my external drive (which was my internal drive).

I now have my internal drive installed (which was the new passport drive). I used super duper to copy all the files from my old drive to my new drive. I then tried to boot from my new internal drive but it didnt work but it boots fine from my old internal (now external drive). Is it because i copied the files over wrong? the actual install is fine.

8. ramases macrumors member

Fazzl, what version of OS X are you running? There are some issues with SuperDuper and Leopard, see the Shirt-Pocket web site.

If you are using Leopard, have you tried using TimeMachine? I ran a TimeMachine backup, popped in my WD 250Gb hdd, booted from Leopard Install DVD, created a GUID partition and then chose to restore from Time Machine backup. The full restore from my 100Gb HDD (91gb data) took 1Hr 45mins and apart from having to re-authorise my iTunes music everything went swimmingly.

9. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

SuperDuper does not work with Leopard at this time.

The Mac Genius way is to use Disk Utility to restore your original disk onto the new disk. (Either use the Leopard disk or another bootable drive).