Swapped HDD is extremely slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigbarr, Jul 24, 2009.

1. bigbarr macrumors member

All,

I just dropped in a WD Scorpio 7200 320GB drive in my mid-2009 mbp. I successfully cloned my previous drive. It took forever to boot the first time and every subsequent time. It takes hours to install the os fresh after wiping it. Not at all how I expected the swap to go. What do you all think? Swap it out for another because this one is a bad egg?

I have done a guid partition and it is formatted in mac os x extended and journaled.

When i boot from my old drive, now in a usb enclosure, everything is fine. However when I access the new internal drive it hangs and just doesn't play well with it at all.

Any thoughts before i return and exchange?

2. bigbarr thread starter macrumors member

Well, I went to best buy and swapped the 7200 wd drive for another. I brought it home and installed it directly into the machine. I then booted from leopard install dvd. I'm doing the bare bones install so it's only about 6gb. So far its the slowest install of os x ever. Kind of like before. The machine is estimating about a 4 hour 42 minute install time. I know that will come down but still. What in the world could be the problem.

I did format this as a guid partition and mac os x extended and journaled.

thoughts?

3. vanc macrumors 6502

What you need is a simple PRAM reset. I had the exactly same issue and PRAM reset fixed it. Now the boot performance is the same as the stock HDD.