Swapped letters on some websites- font problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaptainB, Mar 13, 2009.

1. CaptainB macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a Q about system fonts...

When I visit some websites (not all), I can't read them properly as some of the letters are swapped. Very annoying!

eg. If it's supposed to read 'advertising' it will read 'odvertisimg' so the a and n are swapped with an o and m!?

I've been having this problem for a while now and have recently got my computer fixed.

I have to admit before I put it in to get fixed I had been playing with my font folders trying to fix the problem which in turn made it much worse causing my computer to not want to restart but just going to a blue screen...(oops).

This was fixed but i just would like to know why some websites aren't reading properly.

Is it something to do with my system fonts?

If anyone has any tips I'm all ears.

Cheers.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Could you post some screenshots?

Have you tried another browser?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

In Mac's Font Book application under the File menu there's a Validate Font option. I would start there. Just highlight all fonts and choose that option.

If that doesn't help let us know what browser, the version, and if it's happening in any other applications. Also if you let us know which sites this happens with and if you can provide a screen shot that would be beneficial.

4. CaptainB thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for you help- so I've attached a screenshot. When I save as a pdf I can read the website properly, but have a look at what i see from the website- weird.

I just enabled all my fonts in FontBook, although the guy who fixed my comp put a font folder in my Users folder, so only about half of my fonts are in fontbook. i have 3500 fonts should i put them all in font book to see if that fixes the problem?

I have tried another browser and the same thing happens to the same website. Wikipedia is one of the sites which is a big one so it can't be their problem...

Attached Files:

5. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Oh man, I would stop using this computer right away, I read some of that text for like 20 seconds and I felt like I was losing my grip on the English language!

Belaw the lime! Belaw the lime!

But on a less serious note, this is weird. I've yet to dabble with Fontbook but maybe going over to the Apple Discussion boards might prove useful.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Have you tried validating fonts like suggested?

7. CaptainB thread starter macrumors newbie

angelwatt- I've just been validating, I haven't had any serious problem fonts but a few have minor problems and tell me 'proceed with caution'... do I remove these fonts? thanks.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I wouldn't delete them just yet. Move them to a separate folder for the time being while trying to work out the problem.

9. BobZune macrumors 6502a

I'd also recommend deleting the font caches to see if it helps. A utility like OnyX.app makes it easy, if you find and check the right boxes (under cleaning -- fonts).

10. CaptainB thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what fixed it- i did both of your helpful suggestions- downloaded Onyx and got rid of the dodgy fonts from Fontbook and the websites are working!

Very relieved.... Thank you so so much!!!!

CaptainB.

11. CaptainB thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again,

So my problem has returned.

After working for about 3 days it decided to switch back to its old tricks. I had to restart my computer just before as Illustrator was acting up and when it turned on, my Wikipedia is all gobble-de-gook again! This was the 1st time I had restarted my computer since doing it 3 days ago.

Anyone know why this may have happened??

12. BobZune macrumors 6502a

If you put the dodgy fonts back again, put them away in a temperory location for a while and clear cache and reboot and see if it works.

13. autorelease macrumors regular

14. CaptainB thread starter macrumors newbie

The fonts weren't put back in and I used Onyx again to clear the caches but hasn't helped...