Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
CT
I had originally purchased a black 128GB iPhone 7 Plus for AT&T from the Apple Store yesterday and I had a few issues with it. Namely the sizzling (hissing) coil whine, a dimmer display than accustomed to with my 128GB iPhone 6 Plus, terrible feedback when recording videos, and a unibody that creaked or popped randomly when holding it immediately after not touching it for a bit.

I know many here share the same concerns I have (had) so I wanted to let you all know about my experience today.

Luckily, I found a 256GB iPhone 7 Plus in black at a nearby Apple Store. Much to my delight, zero of these issues are present in my new iPhone. The aforementioned issues must be minor defects in the manufacturing process. Do not settle with anything that is bothering you with your current 7 or 7 Plus. I am so happy now that I can sit back and enjoy my new phone as should everyone else who has purchased one. We are all paying top dollar for our iPhones and I can safely say that my new phone has not one of the issues that my original one had.

Please post any similar stories or anything related.

Last edited:

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I had originally purchased a black 128GB iPhone 7 Plus for AT&T from the Apple Store yesterday and I had a few issues with it. Namely the sizzling (hissing) coil whine, a dimmer display than accustomed to with my 128GB iPhone 6 Plus, terrible feedback when recording videos, and a unibody that creaked or popped randomly when holding it immediately after not touching it for a bit.

I know many here share the same concerns I have (had) so I wanted to let you all know about my experience today.

Luckily, I found a 256GB iPhone 7 Plus in black at a nearby Apple Store. Much to my chagrin, zero of these issues are present in my new iPhone. The aforementioned issues must be minor defects in the manufacturing process. Do not settle with anything that is bothering you with your current 7 or 7 Plus. I am so happy now that I can sit back and enjoy my new phone as should everyone else who has purchased one. We are all paying top dollar for our iPhones and I can safely say that my new phone has not one of the issues that my original one had.

Please post any similar stories or anything related.
That's great! I'm glad that you were able to found an iPhone that you are happy with.

Seesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
CT
Chagrin??? From the positive outcome of your situation, perhaps you meant something else here such as "delight"?

Yes haha thank you, I edited my original post.
[doublepost=1474685197][/doublepost]
That's great! I'm glad that you were able to found an iPhone that you are happy with.

Absolutely, thanks! Ironically I was just going to live with it but I wanted the 256 anyway so I wasn't even swapping it out for the issues mentioned above!

Reactions: determined09

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Do you mind posting some videos to confirm this? It's one thing to have people post it, but seeing videos would be very helpful. Thanks

Seesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
CT
Do you mind posting some videos to confirm this? It's one thing to have people post it, but seeing videos would be very helpful. Thanks

Original black 128GB iPhone 7 Plus. Notice at around 10 seconds you can hear a loud sizzle but those crackling noises are apparent throughout.

[doublepost=1474686253][/doublepost]

Here is the black 256GB iPhone 7 Plus I upgraded to. No sizzling or hissing.

[doublepost=1474687826][/doublepost]

Are you able to hear the zapping sound in the video shot with the 128GB?

Last edited:

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Original black 128GB iPhone 7 Plus. Notice at around 10 seconds you can hear a loud sizzle but those crackling noises are apparent throughout.

Er... I hear the same background whine in both videos. :-/

Reactions: BrightCanon

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014

I put my headphone on and can't tell any difference. are you sure that 256GB is not the main reason you want to swap?
[doublepost=1474732945][/doublepost]
Er... I hear the same background whine in both videos. :-/

+1

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011

thanks! seems almost the same. except for at 10secs 2 Qs

1- on the new one do you still hear hissing if you put to your ear
2- did you have a case on when recording those

Seesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
CT
thanks! seems almost the same. except for at 10secs 2 Qs

1- on the new one do you still hear hissing if you put to your ear
2- did you have a case on when recording those

I do not hear the hissing whatsoever with the new one.

I had the Apple leather case on it.

CaleM3

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Hmm, I just listened to both videos and I hear "white noise" in both videos, however, the 256gb video I can hear a faint buzzing noise compared to the 128gb one.

Seesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
CT
Hmm, I just listened to both videos and I hear "white noise" in both videos, however, the 256gb video I can hear a faint buzzing noise compared to the 128gb one.

The faint buzzing noise is the compressor from my refrigerator that was nearby. The 128GB has static zaps noises most notable at 10 seconds in. That phone also had the zapping coil noise constantly.

CaleM3

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
The faint buzzing noise is the compressor from my refrigerator that was nearby. The 128GB has static zaps noises most notable at 10 seconds in. That phone also had the zapping coil noise constantly.
Haha, I was actually thinking it was the fridge, but I had no facts, just the sound and sight.

Reactions: Seesh

brobstfish

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
Had the 7 plus in matte black for a day before I noticed my bottom speaker mesh was pushed in. Went to Apple just to have them say it was fine. Went to a different Apple Store the next day and exchanged it for another. I'm not settling for anything when I'm paying over 900$ for a phone.

Reactions: Seesh

Seesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
CT
Haha, I was actually thinking it was the fridge, but I had no facts, just the sound and sight.

Haha, nice.
[doublepost=1474904426][/doublepost]
Had the 7 plus in matte black for a day before I noticed my bottom speaker mesh was pushed in. Went to Apple just to have them say it was fine. Went to a different Apple Store the next day and exchanged it for another. I'm not settling for anything when I'm paying over 900$ for a phone.

Exactly, I'm glad you got it sorted out.
[doublepost=1474904518][/doublepost]
Awesome, thanks. Do you know which week of production it's from?

Unfortunately, I don't know which production week. I had already swapped for the bigger model before starting this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.