Swapped my MacBook Pro display; Color temperature is bad.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Simplicated, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Hello,

I replaced my 2011 MacBook Pro display due to backlight bleeding and uneven glass at an Apple Authorized Service Provider. The new display has these issues fixed, but the color temperature seems to be erratic, as I reckon it's causing eyestrain much more quickly than before.

I believe the white looks the same as the old display, while the gray seems to be a lot cooler. When I compare the new display to my old MBP, everything becomes obvious: white is yellower, grays are more bluish. I recall that when I compared the old display to my old MBP, they looked pretty much the same.

I have a high-res glossy MBP. The new display is a LP154WE3-TLA2 display with model "A004" (which I can't find any data online). The old one is a LTN154MT07 display with model "9CB6" (which is, a Samsung display).

Should I ask for another replacement? Thank you very much.

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Go through the Apple Calibration to see if it helps or use a calibration tool. That should fix the issue.

3. Simplicated thread starter macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Thanks for your input! While I haven't finished my calibration, doesn't the discrepancy between the temperatures in white/gray mean there's something wrong with the display?

4. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

It depends if the gray is really "gray". Real "white" is easy to judge if you have a reference, but computer "gray" is rarely really gray.

I would do the calibration first and then take a look. Do you have a good reference, like THIS? If not, can you borrow one?

5. Hambern macrumors newbie

I also have the LP154WE3-TLA2 A004 Display. I've tried to find information about it with no luck. I'm not satisfied with it though. I've bought a calibration tool to calibrate it but I just can't get it to look right. The problem seems to be that the default color of the screen is too blue. When I try to calibrate it to standard, the red channel seems to get "blown", which make sin tones look really dull.

If you wanna try my profiles you can check out these and say what you think:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27605059/icc-profiles/MBP 2012-01-25.icc
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27605059/icc-profiles/MBP 2011-12-12.icc
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27605059/icc-profiles/MBP 2011-12-11.icc
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27605059/icc-profiles/MBP 2011-11-24.icc

They are calibrated at different dates with slightly different settings.

6. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

There is probably nothing wrong with your display. The problem is that you need to calibrate it. You can try the built in calibration tool from apple. But the only way you are going to get it accurate is with a calibration device (the iDisplay3 is great for the price).

Hambern, I bet your issue is actually with your calibration device. If you have a "spyder" or a idisplay2 (or LT), and not 100% sure how old they are (including how long it sat in the shelf before you bought it), it has probably drifted out of spec. Every time I have ran into a colorimeter that has drifted, it is always red that is the trouble color.

7. Hambern macrumors newbie

I've calibrated several screens with the device X-Rite ColorMunki Display, and it works really good, but with this screen it just can't seem to nail those skin tones. But the worst problem is the vertical viewing angle. You have to pull your head away quite a bit for the colors on the entire screen to appear correct.

I would however recommend everybody with this display to test my calibrations posted above. They sure make things a lot better.