Swapped my S5 for Note 3. Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ryankul, Nov 2, 2014.

1. ryankul macrumors regular

Had my S5 which I was happy with. I only wished two things. One that the finger print reader was better and two that the screen was larger.

Friday while at Sam's Club they were putting up the Note 4 demo and put up a sign by the Note 3. It was $29. I played with it and the s pen for awhile. Bigger screen, useful stylus and still fast. I wanted it lol. Went home grabbed my box and swapped them out (was still within 30 day exchange). So far extremely happy and just wondering if this was a downgrade technically. I know the Note 3 has 3gb ram vs 2 in the S5 but also a slower processor. What do you think?

2. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I think the note 3 is a good phone. I don't think you've downgraded at all. I think it's more of a side step. The note 3 has some advantages as does the S5. I owned the note 3 before I got my S5 and it's a great phone.

3. ryankul thread starter macrumors regular

That's pretty much how I feel (side step). It's still really fast and I am really enjoying the screen and s pen. Thanks for the input.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thank you for that enlightening post....

If your happy with your phone, I think it was a Good move for YOU.

OP, the Note 3 scores very similarly to the S5 in nearly all benchmarks. Indeed in one VERY important aspect it is vastly superior ... Memory management.

The 3gb in the Note 3 allows you to multitask in and out of many applications without having to refresh content after a couple of apps. The S5 whilst generally smooth in operation was a terror for having to reload/refresh background apps due to it hitting its memory limit.

The Note 3 was also a good move if you wanted a bigger screen and had no problem with the build quality of the S5. As they are very similar build quality wise, indeed the back of the Note 3 is nicer than the S5 and you don't have to faff around with flaps for charging either.

Enjoy your phone.

5. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

As long as you are happy you made the right choice besides you wanted larger screen.

6. ryankul thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for all that good info. I have noticed multi tasking seems more fluid which has been nice. Thanks

7. Sensamic macrumors 68030

You gain more RAM, bigger screen, better battery life and the rest is similar (build quality, software, camera, etc).

I have the SGS5 only because phablets are too big for me.

8. mi7chy, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Good. Note 3's advantages of larger display, precision pen and more DRAM are more valuable than fingerprint and water resistance.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

what phone are you currently using as your daily driver? I just ordered a z3c, which should be here today :)

I know you went "big" and decided it was to unwieldy. I have found the same to be true for what I want in a phone.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Enjoy your new phone, OP.

11. ryankul thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. Ordered the wireless charging kit, glass screen protector and a case so looks like I'm sticking with it lol. S Pen has already started to grow on me. Two apps at the same time with the large display is quite nice also. Hopefully this holds strong till the Note 5 or when I'm do for an upgrade.

12. MRU, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Currently using both the Samsung Galaxy Alpha and the Space Grey 64gb iPhone 6 4.7" :) I swap between them as my daily driver. Both very similar battery life too.

Galaxy Alpha battery after a long time on battery and near 3 hours screen on time ... not bad for a 1800mah battery.

Screenshot_2014-11-03-16-12-20.png

Screenshot_2014-11-03-16-12-41.png

13. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I love my Note 3 honestly. It's a beast still even a year later. I definitely prefer it to the S5.

14. ryankul thread starter macrumors regular

Glad to hear all the positives. Definitely keeping it. No longer have a tablet and with the Note 3 I feel like I don't need one. Battery life has been incredible. Ordered a really thin case and glass screen protector. Started out with a cheap silicon case but it makes it so much thicker and harder to get in and out of the pockets.

15. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

After more than 1 year with my Note 3, it still rocks. The only thing I would add is a spare battery or two. It can really come in handy and is not cumbersome to carry.

16. AX338 macrumors regular

AX338

17. MozMan68, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I just swapped my Jeep for an S5...well, an Audi S5....does that make you feel better? :D

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I swapped my house for a bag of skittles ..... so there :p 1up'ed

19. maestroX2 macrumors regular

I just swapped back from Ip6 to Note3. Waiting for N6 though. I really want to use iP6 or iP6+ since lot of families have :apple:. Been with Android for too long.

20. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I agree, whatever works best for you. Personally, I found the Galaxy Note 2 to be possibly the best phone I ever used. I had way too many issues with the Note 3.

21. coleblk macrumors regular

Just got a refurbished Galaxy Note 3 for a good deal on Swappa and the thing looks brand spankin' new. Really enjoying the huge screen and ability tinker with things when I want. I'll probably be back to iOS soon with a 6+ or my old 5s but it's always fun to try out Android for a little. This phone has definitely gotten me over the fear of large devices. I think an overall good move on your part. :)

22. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

It's just a phone and as long as it does what you want that's all that matters. I know lots of people still using iPhone 4's (2010) and Galaxy S3's (2012). For some people it just doesn't matter.