Swapped out my HDD on MBP '12, looking for external enclosure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nrkid9, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Nrkid9 macrumors newbie

As the title says, I recently swapped out the original 750gb HDD for a 256GB Crucial SSD drive. I would like to use the old 750GB for Time Machine Backups, and was looking around at external cases.

One of the ones that I've found and liked was the one by Oyen:
    http://www.amazon.com/MiniPro-FireW...787&sr=8-6&keywords=thunderbolt+hdd+enclosure

I found that the enclosure is $50 cheaper on eBay if I decide to drop the firewire and stay solely with USB 3.0--I don't expect to use the firewire feature too often (May daisy chain in the future and I'm questioning whether it would be worth it to dump another $50 on just the firewire feature)

What I wanted to know was what your guys' experiences are with external hdd enclosures (especially with firewire 800 vs USB 3.0), any recommendations you can make as to brands and pricing, and how fast the r/w speed will be if I use the original 750GB drive that came with the computer on a USB 3.0.

2. jamojamo macrumors 6502

I have two enclosures from OWC, one FW800 and one USB 2.0.
    If you are just going to use it for Time Machine now I'd suggest skipping the FW and if you decide to daisy chain later then get a FW enclosure. Who knows, maybe TB will be cheaper down the road.

Speed is non-issue for Time Machine since you wont be backing up that much on a regular basis. But USB 3.0 speeds can be found in many places (google etc)

3. Nrkid9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thunderbolt might be cheaper down the road, but from what I'm seeing most drives can't even take advantage of the high speeds. The OWC SSDs have rw speeds of basically the USB 3.0 top transfer rate.

I was basically looking for how much time it would take from any personal experience the community has, anyone can go to Google and search up the theoretical speeds of the interface.

4. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

5. Nrkid9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol, okay. Well, what are your thoughts on the drive I posted?

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I've always liked Oyen enclosures. They're well-made. I've placed two of these mini-pros with friends I support (both are using them for Time Machine) and there haven't been any complaints.

I have an earlier Oyen FW800 2.5" enclosure, and it's been solid, for 3 years.