Swapped phones with my wife

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j4bles, Sep 14, 2011.

1. j4bles macrumors member

My wife and I both have black iPhone4's. She somehow managed to break her Otterbox so she has been going 'naked' until she gets a replacement. I always go naked with my iPhone, but I do have glass protectors on the front and back.

Anyway, yesterday she accidentally took my iPhone 4 when she left for work. I realized the mix up as soon as I picked her phone up. Her iPhone still has the new feeling to it since it was in the Otterbox and didn't have the glass protectors on it. I called her and notified her of the mix up.

Yesterday afternoon, she comes home and gives me back my phone. I check my texts and missed calls and put the phone down next to the computer and she tells me about her day at work. I have a habit now of always keeping my phone screen side down, so I can see the flash notification (iOS 5). The back looked different to me and upon further inspection, the back glass protector is missing and the glass on the back side of the iPhone is flawless. There were many scratches on it from me never using a case or glass protectors.

She replaced the back glass panel on my iPhone :mad: Obviously she dropped it and had it replaced because she thought I would get upset about it. I still have not confronted her about knowing what she did. At dinner I made a crack about her always breaking things. She didn't fess up.

My request from you is, how do I best troll my wife for doing this to me? :D

tl;dr: wife broke glass panel on my phone, had it replaced without telling me, what do?

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

If you are planning on getting the iphone 5, I wouldn't bring it up. You will have no problem selling the 4 the way it is. She was nice enough to have it replaced and everybody makes mistakes so I would just act like it never happened. The only thing I would do is to make sure never to give her your phone again. Good luck ;)

3. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I would just ask her what happened to the back cover, I wouldn't play silly games and try and troll her, she is your wife after all.

It would be funny to play a trick or two, but honestly, just be up front and tell her next time, she should please be honest with you and let you know if this sort of thing happens again.

4. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Don't worry about it and get on with your life. Or divorce her. Your choice.

5. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Something kinky in the bedroom you've always wanted but she's always resisted? :D

7. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

Hmmm..what else isn't she telling you...JK. Id confront her. What do you think she would do if it was reversed and you replaced her screen?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm always dumbfounded by these questions.
    Your wife ****ed something up and fixed it. Whether she told you or not doesn't seem to matter; she fixed it.
    I don't get what your issue is and why you have to make a big deal about her not telling you. It sounds ridiculous.

9. j4bles thread starter macrumors member

It's not that I'm pissed about it. I'd rather that she said "sorry, I broke your phone, how should we go about replacing it?" Instead, she's playing me, so I could simply own up to knowing about it but then I feel she'll just play it off. "Oh yeah, forgot to tell you, not a big deal."

I'd tell her I'd get her a new glass panel on eBay for $10 or whatever and replace it and get her the new iPhone when it comes out. Not knowing how she fixed it, I have no idea what she paid to have it replaced. I'm guessing this is something the local Apple store could do for a nominal amount.

I'm thinking I'll tell her I dropped my phone today and shattered the back glass, see what kind of reaction I get :D Or give her a black eye.....I kid....she did get it fixed.

----------

Because we're adults. She's not my daughter and she doesn't have to hide things from me.

10. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

Exactly, she probably feels bad about having to do it in the first place.

In the same situation I'd probably tell my husband, only because I am incapable of keeping a straight face.

11. nmork macrumors regular

I don't see why you have to go make a huge deal out of it and "troll her" - that's just silly. If it really bothers you, just ask her why the backl is all shiny and new. If not, let sleeping dogs lie.

On another note, how do you know she broke it, rather than just replaced it because of how scratched up it was?

This is the only fact you have:
    And then you make the jump from that to this assumption:
    Just saying, you don't have any proof of that to begin with. I'd ask her before making any accusations :)

12. j4bles thread starter macrumors member

Because the front has two big scratches. If she was going to be nice and replace something that bothered me, it would be the front glass. Also, she wouldn't have spent the money knowing that we're going to be purchasing two iPhone 5's next month.

Sure, it's a stretch, but MAYBE she has has a friend with a cousin who knows a guy that would replace it for cheap. No, I know my wife and she definitely broke it and replaced it without wanting to confront me about it. Guess honesty isn't something that's important to some people *shrugs*

No games then, I'll call her at lunch time and let her know that I noticed and do not care, but wished she would have just told me rather than try and fix it and see if I wouldn't notice.

13. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Just tell her. Thanks for the new back panel. And leave it at that. She could have dropped it and handed it back to you broken, but she went through the effort of getting it fixed.

14. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

fun story. I would just make a joke about it at dinner, or whenever.

15. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

1: You do realize the the front panel would have cost so much more to replace than the back? The back panel is maybe a $25 transaction and a 30 minute procedure(not even, really) at the Apple Store. The front panel will likely cost upwards of $100 and take hours, since the last thing you disassemble from the iPhone is the screen and the home button.

Also, have you ever thought that she didn't tell you because she would be afraid that you would react in the manner you're reacting right now? I don't know anyone who purposefully schemes to "troll" their spouse. If you're freaking out over something this small, you're either extremely controlling over your wife, which is a huge issue, or there is something else going on between you and you're blowing this completely and UTTERLY out of proportion in order to have an excuse to stay mad at her.

Dude. Relax. Love your wife.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

I don't think she is playing you. She broke it and fixed it. Not a big deal, let it go.

17. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

Or you could just plain ask her what happened?
    Ever thought of that?

18. gtmac macrumors 6502a

I would have asked right away but then again my wife and I don't hide things from each-other.

19. wtmk81 macrumors regular

wtmk81

I would say "since we're going to get iphone 5's and likely sell these I'll have the front and back glass replaced to maintain the value." then see what she says.

20. wpotere Guest

Something like this happened with my wife. While I was deployed she accidentally backed my truck into a post (in fairness, that post was hard to see as I almost hit it a few times) and scratched the rear quarter panel all up. She had it repaired and wasn't going to tell me. She then broke down crying and confessed it all.

I just looked at her and said "Sweetie, it is ok. I'm just glad you weren't hurt, the truck was easily fixed but you can't be". She hasn't hidden anything since.

I would rather my wife trust me enough to tell me that she damaged something rather than be scared to confront me about something like a simple phone. Why does she feel she has to hide it from you, that would be my concern.

21. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

I don't know...to me its just feels like if she didn't want to tell him what happened to the phone..which really when ya think about it isnt really a huge deal...what if something really important happens...would she say anything?

22. korndawg macrumors regular

File for divorce. She obviously can't be trusted! :D

23. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

OP, I honestly don't know which is worse..
    1) her fixing her mistake and just not telling you (for whatever reason - and i'm not saying she's right in doing that, she should be able to tell you anything since you're her husband)

or

2) you KNOWING what she did and letting it build up and not saying anything about it right away but asking complete strangers what you should do in your marriage..

Just my 2 cents.

24. Greatbape macrumors newbie

Don't you love all the serious answers. The guy simply wanted to mess with his wife a little bit. I see some of you people lead very boring mediocre lives. :eek: