Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suet51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Hi I have an iphone 4s recently updated to ios 6 and now 6.0.1 and a first generation ipad
the ipad stays conected to wi-fi ok but my iphone has started to swap between 3g and wi-fi every few seconds which results in the internet being unusable and battery life abismal. I have tried reset network settings and switching on and off. My router hasn't had any settings adjusted and no other changes to system.
Please help, thank you

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I know this sounds stupid (considering you said your iPad is working fine), but I just replaced a Netgear router that was doing this to me constantly. This was happening to me about once a week or so and I would have to reboot the router to get it to work properly.

Have you tried rebooting your router to see if the problem ceases?

suet51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Didn't sound stupid at all and just tried it and so far so good! Thank you so much for your help. I had convinced myself that as the iPad was ok, it couldn't be the router. Thank you

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Didn't sound stupid at all and just tried it and so far so good! Thank you so much for your help. I had convinced myself that as the iPad was ok, it couldn't be the router. Thank you

I'm glad it worked for you! I had mine doing that for about 2 months before I decided to get a new router.. It was driving me mad ;)

suet51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
I'm glad it worked for you! I had mine doing that for about 2 months before I decided to get a new router.. It was driving me mad ;)

Mine now just switches to 3G when I'm not using it. I can live with that, it was the constant switching and battery only lasting a few hours that drove me mad!! Still don't know why the iPad wasn't effected, maybe IOS 6.0.1 makes the connection sensitive. (can you tell I have no idea what I am talking about :) )

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Mine now just switches to 3G when I'm not using it. I can live with that, it was the constant switching and battery only lasting a few hours that drove me mad!! Still don't know why the iPad wasn't effected, maybe IOS 6.0.1 makes the connection sensitive. (can you tell I have no idea what I am talking about :) )

Haha.. This was happening for me on 6.0 also. I think it defaults back to cellular when it's not in use. When I turn mine on I see it switch to WIFI when I unlock. I think it's supposed to work like that, but not the way it was prior to you rebooting your router lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.