Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
if you buy an A1901 iPhone X direct from your carrier (AT&T) - is there any way to swap it for the A1865 version through apple? I am assuming no but wanted to see if anyone else has experience.

I got a good deal on phones from AT&T but want the flexibility to switch to Verizon (I live in the NYC metro area and they have better cell coverage in the train tunnels etc).

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Doubtful. Apple won’t exchange because you didn’t buy it there. If the phone was defective they would only swap it for the same model.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
if you buy an A1901 iPhone X direct from your carrier (AT&T) - is there any way to swap it for the A1865 version through apple? I am assuming no but wanted to see if anyone else has experience.

I got a good deal on phones from AT&T but want the flexibility to switch to Verizon (I live in the NYC metro area and they have better cell coverage in the train tunnels etc).
You will have to return your A1901 directly to AT&T and buy another one from Apple.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

Does NYC use cdma fallback on Verizon? Or is it blanket lte ? If the latter you may be ok with 1901 on Verizon

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Does NYC use cdma fallback on Verizon? Or is it blanket lte ? If the latter you may be ok with 1901 on Verizon

In the past when I have looked at switching to Verizon with a BYOD they have asked for the IMEI to check if it is approved on their network - anyone know if that is still the case?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
In the past when I have looked at switching to Verizon with a BYOD they have asked for the IMEI to check if it is approved on their network - anyone know if that is still the case?

I believe it is the case but you could easily get a cheap “burner” and sim swap. I’ve read a few people have no problems with that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.