Swapping Configuration Files Between Airport Extremes

foto-max

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I am considering getting a new Airport Extreme (tower). I am currently utilizing an Airport Extreme (model A1354, version 4) and am using use static addressing with many MAC addresses configured. I have exported and saved the config file for my current Airport Extreme. When I purchase the new Airport Extreme (tower), can I simply import the config file into the device and be on my way, or is the software on the new device different and save config files in a different manner?

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Dunno about the current gen, but on 1st, 2nd and 4th gen Extremes the config files were freely interchangeable.

djarum69

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
Just migrated from a first generation to the current gen and use the file migration with no issues. It was very easy to do after consulting Google.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2011
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Super easy, just plug the new one in but don't disconnect the old one. Setup will give you the option to copy config from an existing AirPort device; select your old one and AirPort utility will clone it for you.

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Super easy, just plug the new one in but don't disconnect the old one. Setup will give you the option to copy config from an existing AirPort device; select your old one and AirPort utility will clone it for you.
Nice tip! What does the AirPort Utility do with the config of original router? Reset to factory default?
Having 2 identical routers on the network doesn't sound like a useable setup?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Nice tip! What does the AirPort Utility do with the config of original router? Reset to factory default?
Having 2 identical routers on the network doesn't sound like a useable setup?
What I did with my old AirPort was leave it configured and put it away in case something happened to the new one. Yes the old one is slow, but it's better than nothing and makes for a quick swap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.