Swapping Configuration Files Between Airport Extremes

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by foto-max, Dec 23, 2013.

1. foto-max macrumors newbie

I am considering getting a new Airport Extreme (tower). I am currently utilizing an Airport Extreme (model A1354, version 4) and am using use static addressing with many MAC addresses configured. I have exported and saved the config file for my current Airport Extreme. When I purchase the new Airport Extreme (tower), can I simply import the config file into the device and be on my way, or is the software on the new device different and save config files in a different manner?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Dunno about the current gen, but on 1st, 2nd and 4th gen Extremes the config files were freely interchangeable.

3. djarum69 macrumors newbie

Just migrated from a first generation to the current gen and use the file migration with no issues. It was very easy to do after consulting Google.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Super easy, just plug the new one in but don't disconnect the old one. Setup will give you the option to copy config from an existing AirPort device; select your old one and AirPort utility will clone it for you.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Nice tip! What does the AirPort Utility do with the config of original router? Reset to factory default?
    Having 2 identical routers on the network doesn't sound like a useable setup?

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Nothing - but once it's done you can reset it to factory config.

7. Bear macrumors G3

What I did with my old AirPort was leave it configured and put it away in case something happened to the new one. Yes the old one is slow, but it's better than nothing and makes for a quick swap.