Swapping drive to new MacBook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qbaser, May 10, 2011.

1. qbaser macrumors member

I'm taking my MacBook pro which I purchased in March this year back to the shop as a key has broken.

They have agreed to give me a new machine. If I backup my hard drive for reinstating everything to the new machine, will there be a problem if the new MacBook pro model I get has the newer 6gbps fix? Will the new model accept my backup file?

Al

2. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

backup using TM, when you get your new computer, in the setup part select "restore from backup". It will not care what hardware was on your old computer because it is retaining the current computer's architecture and just transferring the home folder, applications, and other system settings and doesn't touch the OS

3. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

+1 def will work better over cloning the drive.

4. qbaser thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for those replies.

I'm wondering then if I can simply take out the ssd drive from the machine thatnis being returned, replace it with the apple 5400 drive. Then when I get my new machine, simply put my ssd in the new machine, removing the 5400 drive as I did when I bought the original machine which I'm replacing.

Will that work too?

5. MacMojo1 macrumors member

6. chrfr macrumors 603

That should work fine but if the computer you're replacing is an older model, you'll need to use the DVD included with the computer to update the operating system on the SSD. If it's the same model, it will be a totally seamless swap.