Swapping drives in a 17" Arrandale

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HouseofG, Apr 15, 2010.

1. HouseofG macrumors member

Hi all - Received my MBP 17" i5 in just over 12 hours time from Macmall (impressive) and ordered the in-stock 5400 500GB drive knowing that I'd just be switching it out for the fairly new 7200 500GB from my current ('06 2.33) MBP. I'm well versed in taking apart my non-unibody 2.33, but I imagine the game has changed with later models/unibodies.

Is there any guidance out there yet for these Arrandales or would any unibody walkthrough do the trick?

2. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Hardest part is not dropping one of the back cover screws and loosing it.
    Its very easy, takes 2 minutes to take the screws out, takes about 1 minute to swap the drive. Takes 2 minutes to put the screws back in.

5 min job. (Providing you don't drop a screw and then spend 20 min looking for it. :)

3. HouseofG thread starter macrumors member

Excellent. I'll keep a close eye on those little suckers. Has to be (even) easier than my 2.33. Thanks!

4. HouseofG thread starter macrumors member

Also, any potential system incompatibilities in simply swapping out these drives (despite both having the latest version of Leopard)?

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

There have been numerous issues with HDs in the aluminum unibody machines, for starters, read this thread (it's really long).
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729883
    But to sum it all up, some people have good results with one drive and others bad, even with the same drive/MacBook Pro model. For instance, I had lots of trouble with a WD Scorpio Blue 500GB, constant stalls, but great results with a Seagate 500GB Momentus 7,200 rpm drive, despite many reports of just the opposite. It is basically a trial and error thing, you pay your money and you take your chances. If one brand doesn't work, try another and use the one (ones) that don't in a USB case for backup. FWITW, people have reported good luck with Hitachi and Seagate 7,200 rpm drives and others with the 5,400 rpm WD Scorpio Blue.
    Note: You must have a No. 6 Torx screwdriver to swap the knobs on the side of drive used to hold it in place, and a small + screw driver for the screws on the outside and the two screws inside holding the bracket over the edge of the drive. There are 2 different lengths of screws used outside, keep them in order so you can replace them exactly as removed and you should be OK. The manual that comes with the MaBook Pro has a diagram showing how to swap the drive, the angles used (yes, they vary) and the screw placement. As said above, beware, those short ones are really short, and I swear they are really looking for the chance to jump off your desk! :eek::apple::eek:

6. HouseofG thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know about this unibody issue. I can't remember what I have in the old computer (not at home), but I believe it's a Hitachi (whichever the first manufacturer was to come out with the 7200 500 GB drives - which weren't working for everyone - maybe an overlapped concept there) and I know it isn't a WD.

Also had no idea about the manual! I'd never expect to see something that informative in a manual and wouldn't have looked there.

All set on the Torx and small screwdriver. Thanks much.

My main concern was whether the system software that comes with the new MBP could somehow have features/aspects that aren't present on the Leopard install on my 2.33 MBP. I didn't think there would be since I would think it's just a latest Leopard install, but a friend brought this up and made me nervous.

Would installing the new system discs on my old drive wipe out any non-system files? Wouldn't think so.