Swapping from Macbook to Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chuushajou, Oct 28, 2010.

  1. Chuushajou macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Location:
    London
    #1
    So, I currently own a Macbook (MC240B/A) and I was thinking of selling it for the 13" MBP, as I love the style and now prefer it to the the plain white. I was looking at the buyer's guide to find that the MBP is nearing the end of it's product cycle, and I noticed that I expect an update soon? How soon can I expect an update? Because I don't want to purchase the current model when another one is coming in a couple of weeks?

    I also wanted to get a rough estimate on how much I can expect to sell the MB for?(British sterling) It is in immaculate condition, and comes with the original box etc. Also, how much can I expect off with my student discount?

    many thanks

    - Jack
     
  2. kopite19 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2010
    #2
    1) Nobody really knows if there will be a MBP refresh at the moment, but history shows if there is one, it's before mid-November.
    2)The Mac2Sell Quoted Value is :£ 380. They usually go for a bit more on ebay as it's boxed etc but then you have fee's etc to contend with.
    3)HE discount - http://store.apple.com/uk-edu should show you prices for everything.
     
  3. tharris0101 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #3
    I think most people expect Q1 2011. My personal opinion is summer 2011. I think it will be a fairly major redesign as well. Of course, that is just my gut feeling. No one will actually know for sure.
     
  4. Chuushajou thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Location:
    London
    #4
    Thanks for the responses.

    I've been stalking eBay and turns out i can expect anywhere from £500-£600 from selling my Macbook. The refresh status is annoying me, different sources and people say I can expect a complete overhaul, and others say it'll be a basic upgrade(i3 etc) Being the patient type, I'll probably wait until end of November before making a purchase. kopite19, thanks for the link to the Apple eduction discount, it turns out I can get the same model MBP from Amazon for £40 cheaper. That's without any sort of student discount slapped ontop. Although this will probably not include iLife 11, therefore buying it from Apple may be worth while. Decisions decisions.
     
  5. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #5
    so why would you want to swap a 2.13 ghz C2D for a 2.4ghz C2D with the only benefit being memory (which is cheap to upgrade), the alu body and backlit keys?

    I believe it is an upgrade not worth its money and if you do you should consider the much improved 15"....which will make a noticable speed difference with the i5, or wait a generation for the core iX hitting the 13" line, if you are asking me the 2009 MB really isn't worse then the 2010 MB(P) other then looks.
     
  6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

    mrsir2009

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #6
    I think that in Q1 or Q2 next year there will be a fairly major redesign in the MacBook Pro - Along with the release of Lion :)
     
  7. Chuushajou thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Location:
    London
    #7
    Stefan, you're right. The thing is that Apple is extremely unpredictable when it comes to these sort of things. Personally, I can wait until Q1 next year, but the thing is the longer I wait the value of my Macbook decreases, which is where I'm in a slight pickle. What I could do is time-machine backup my Macbook and sell it for the going rate, then wait until Q1 next year and see if a newer MBP comes out.
     
  8. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #8
    The same would happen to your MBP.

    I'd wait if I were you. The next update will be a big one, Apple will probably take their sweet time about it though. I'm guessing Q2 2011.
     

Share This Page