Swapping G5 Labels

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lastmile, Sep 5, 2015.

1. lastmile macrumors member

Has anyone done a good job of swapping the label inside a G5 that lists the factory config and serial number to another case? I've got a nice 2.0 DC case and a 2.3 DC and Quad with damaged cases. If I swap parts I'd like to swap the label too if I can make it look good.

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

You can swap the outer part of the case, not the frame. It will give you the same effect. There are torch screws all along the inside of the case, the outside should separate from the main frame and then you could switch those

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

It's just a sticker; at least, it is on the two G5s that I've messed with, a 2.0DP and 2.5DP. A good, sharp blade and a little bit of patience should do you perfectly well.

4. lastmile thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I might try to swap the frame into a new outer case. The feet of the 2.3 and Quad got bent in shipping so if the frame is OK I could just move the whole thing over. I assume I have to totally disassemble the system (logicboard, etc out) to do this.

5. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yeah, there are some case mod guides on how to separate the frame and handles

6. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

I swapped the sticker on mine without any fuss using a sharp blade to raise a corner. Swapping the inner case seems a bit much to me, but if you have the time and it's in better condition than the donor case then go for it.