Swapping hard drives back into MBP for bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tann, Nov 19, 2012.

1. tann macrumors 68000

Hi all, I've been in the market for an SSD for a while, long story short the one I wanted was in a sale so I bought it, it's however half the size of the one I wanted (but a HELL of a lot cheaper cause of the sale).

I doubt I'll be able to put my bootcamp install back onto it (just not enough space).

So I was thinking, can I use my new SSD as my hard drive 99% of the time and if needed could I just take out my SSD and put in my old regular HDD which has the bootcamp partition on it? Would that work fine swapping back and forth like that?

Many thanks in advance, I searched around and couldn't find something exactly like this, but I read that swapping hard drives from an old to new macbook pro worked okay so surely this should?

It's a 2010 15" MBP if that makes a difference.

Thanks again!

2. Xenn0X macrumors regular

3. tann thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for that, I forgot to add why it is i'm not doing this. Basically I have another 8 months left on my AppleCare so I'm not going to mess with anything that's warranty voiding until then :)

Would this be a good (albeit slightly long winded) way of getting around it the rare occasions I need it?

4. Xenn0X macrumors regular

you do not want to mess around but ok with swapping out the harddrives?
    if there is something wrong with the macbook just take out the optical bay before sending it to apple. no problems with youre apple care there!

5. tann thread starter macrumors 68000

I know that hard drive replacing doesn't void applecare. Replacing the optical drive is something I'll probably do after my care runs out :).